PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

AC recharge port for 2005 classic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Sep 2010, 01:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Default AC recharge port for 2005 classic

I'm sure the answer to this has already been offered, but after reading a few dozen threads, where is the dang low side port on the air conditioning for a 2005 classic? I went to recharge the air conditioning last night and cracked open my Haynes manual only to discover as others have that the picture doesn't apply to our build year. I see the high side port, but can't find the low side port. Can anyone point me in the right direction? For all you wondering why I'm doing this, it is because over the life of the car the A/C isn't blowing as cold as it once was. Other than that, the system seems to be working just fine.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 02:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: AC recharge port for 2005 classic

Someone with a 2004 said the low side port is down by the compressor and to access it you must take the front grill off. Can't confirm that information, but if you find it there, how about coming back and letting us know.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 16 Sep 2010, 07:04 pm
Young Cruiser

I'll let you know. I'm replacing the A/C drive belt as well as the alternator belt probably this weekend. When I've got the splash shield off, I'll have a better view in there. If I find it, I'll take pictures and post them.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 07:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Great, thanks.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 05:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm no expert but I bought a recharge kit at Wally World. I am told that you can't put a low pressure connector on to a high pressure port, I'm hoping this is true. I connected the kit to a port on the upper right hand side to get a pressure (engine running of course), it was below the "good" level indicated on the Gage letting me know the connector had accepted the port, no leaking observed. I ran the engine and pushed the button on the can, got it up to level and the A/C worked great.

It is a 2005 convertible - no extras - just basic. I believe the guy at the shop doesn't know how to do this as he over charges my system every time and it blows hot air....I have to bleed it "back down" to get cold air and I am using this port on the top right hand side of the engine compartment to both bleed it off and take readings. It is working for me. Now tell me how close I am to blowing myself up...LOL.....

Is it true that a low side connector will not fit a high side port? Hope so!!!! I was counting on it.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 05:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I believe your right and your shouldn't be able to hook it up wrong. If you have an 05 and are using the port on the top of the engine, that blows apart what people have been saying about Chrysler changing the low side to down below towards the compressor around 2004.

The picture below is a recharge on the low side when both ports are on top which was supposed to be between 2001-03.

Old 23 Aug 2011, 04:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You are 100% correct, you can not hook the recharge kit to the high side.

Just so happens, I am working on an '06 that I can't find the low side charge port either.

I am a professional mechanic with my own shop and do a lot of work for a local used car dealer. Most recently an 06 Cruiser. After several minutes of looking for the suction port I thought I'd check the interwebs. Looks to be a common issue. If there is (or isn't) one on there I'll find it (or won't) and get back to you.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 07:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, I just talked to my PT Cruiser (Chrysler/Dodge) mechanic (a personal friend) and he says the charge port for the newer PT's is on top of the compressor itself. It's very hard to get to it and you have to take the front grill off and even then it's not easy, but according to him...it's there.

P.S. I say newer PT's but what I really should say, anything after 2003.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 07:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This is my first post. Wife has a 2006 base PT. Great car. Has approx. 45000 mi. The low side port on AC is just in front of strut mount and a little above it on her PT on passenger side. Easy to get to. AC seemed a little warm and that is where I checked it. Pressure checked ok. This is an excellent site. We are located in south central Ky. AC works great most of time.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 08:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, that's confusing.