Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Possibly water pump leak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Sep 2010, 09:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Possible water pump leak

New user here, but been watching this site for about a year since we picked up our PT. I believe our 2001 PT has a leaky water pump. It's been leaving a small puddle under the passenger side of the engine, and it appears to be coming from the area near where the pump would be (according to my searches).

Like I said, the car is a 2001. It only has around 75k on it and was a one-owner, very well maintained and looked like a new car when we bought it. This has been the only issue we've had, and it's a fairly new issue.

From what I can gather, this is quite a beast to replace. Nothing like the water pump replacement on my GMC Envoy! My question is what's the average expected rate to have this done by a pro? I'm fairly good with a wrench, but never done timing belts and what not. I'm afraid it'd be too much to ask from my gear-head MOPAR family members too.

The timing belt is a normal maintenance item. What else would they replace while the side of the engine is opened up?

Thanks!!

Last edited by mrwag; 16 Sep 2010 at 09:40 pm.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 11:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Possibly water pump leak

the timing belt the idler pullys the water pump the serpentine belt and if you really wanted to get it done the radiator hoses I have no idea what a water pump would cost but the hold pie is between $800-$1100 depends on what you have done and what they are charging for labor the parts are under $300

It is a big job and some of the guys on here who are gear heads actually take theirs to have it done
something like 7-8 hours of knuckle busting labor
Old 17 Sep 2010, 04:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Cruiserdad gave you a good answer but I have a question for you. Look in the radiator or just in the overflow tank at the back of the engine, what color coolant do you have? Red hopefully. Is that the color of the coolant your seeing on the passenger side ground? Or is it clear water on the ground. The condensation from the A/C unit also drips down to the ground on the passenger side. Just don't want you to be confused between the two puddles.

Also, is the level of coolant actually dropping from the radiator or overflow tank?
Old 17 Sep 2010, 09:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Good point Crezwin I forgot about the A/C good idea about looking at the color my PT will leave a puddle on the shop floor the water pump is on the passengers side of the car which is also where theA/C will be
Old 17 Sep 2010, 10:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Good call, but I've investigated it and it's a reddish-orange color. The reservoir tank is empty, too. I made sure the wifey was driving WITHOUT AC just to make sure. The puddle doesn't evaporate very quickly, either. 99.9% sure it's not AC condensation.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 10:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, just checking. Looks like it's time for the timing belt and water pump change. Chrysler also changed the tensioner in 2003 so yo should upgrade to the new style on that too.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 10:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ahh... The joys of driving older vehicles. I guess it beats making a new car payment every month!
Old 18 Sep 2010, 02:57 pm
Banned

If the car isn't overheating yet it probably will be soon. It might not be because of what you think. You could have recently developed a leak in the hose that feeds the overflow bottle or a small (or large) split in the overflow bottle itself. The leak in the hose or in the overflow would result in coolant at the point on the ground that you are describing. If it was mine, I would take a marker and mark the cold and the hot levels on the overflow bottle. Then, while the engine is cold, I would fill the bottle with the propper mix of coolant to the cold level and check to make sure the level under the radiator cap is full to the top. You will find out instantly if you have a cracked overflow bottle cause it'll just run out on the ground. I would also put on a new radiator cap while I'm at it. Start car and let it reach normal operating temp. Shut off the car and watch to see if anything "abby-normal" happens in the first ten minutes after shutting it off and then come back about an hour later to see if it has returned to the "cold level" on your overflow bottle.

Jerry
Old 19 Sep 2010, 03:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had some time yesterday morning so I pulled the plastic panel off the passenger side wheel well so I could take a look. There definitely seems to be seepage coming out around the side of the engine, and the side of the oil pan area actually seems a bit corroded, which would probably be from the old coolant.

I checked all of the hoses and tubing, and the coolant reservoir and all seems pretty tight.

The dealerships are quoting about 1000-1100 to repair and the smaller shops are around 700 for the process. Oh well....
Old 19 Sep 2010, 03:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'd sure try and see if I could locate that leak first. Clean it off the best you can. You might as well give it shot. It may be worth it to find the leak and maybe fix it yourself.