Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
cam marks not aligned

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Sep 2010, 08:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy cam marks not aligned

anybody know if there is tension on the cam sprokets when the belt is off. because my marks will not line up, unless i hold the intake cam back in position with a wrench, if i dont use the, the cam will flop forward. Please note my crank mark is dead on the trailing edge, also when i hold the intake cam in position and route the belt onto everthing, my marks seem to be very slightly off, (if i put a sraight adge across the marks) plz help this is the 3 rd time im trying this my pt is a 02 base 2.4 with 160,000 miles
Old 17 Sep 2010, 02:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: cam marks not aligned

With no belt on, you still have valve and lifter action via the cams. At TDC there shouldn't be much action though. My intake one was a total pain to stay in position while I get the belt on. It wouldn't actively pop forward like it was sprung, but it would move up on its own.

Maybe you need to rotate everything forward one revolution?

Acording to the 01-04PT service manual I have - and the instructions I followed had the marks lined up half a tooth off (exhaust lower) and take up the slack to stretch the belt enough to get her around the tensioner. It was a total PITA. I got lucky and nailed it the first shot.

It helps to have the cam tool so you don't tear up the head or threads on the cam bolts.

Good luck to you.
Old 18 Sep 2010, 09:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the info, by the way its not alot of tension on the intake, just enough that a wrench was needed to hold it back, maybe 5 ft lbs of force, its just the hayes repair manual makes it seem as if everthing will just rotate very freely. also i do remeber that when i took the belt off, the intake did flop foward a tooth or 2 but again the boo says nothing about this, anyway this is my last attempt, as after several rotations it all seems to be dead on, with marks reading straight across the cams with straight edge and crank mark trailing. ps will change plugs also
Old 18 Sep 2010, 10:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by luko View Post
ps will change plugs also
If your changing plugs, change the wires also.