Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
coolant disappearing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Sep 2010, 06:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default coolant disappearing

I have a 2001 pt cruiser limited. I seem to be having to add coolant every other week to my coolant tank at the back of the coolant tank. I don't see any sign of dried up coolant anywhere in the engine bay. Nor in my oil or oil catch can. Where else should I look?
Old 17 Sep 2010, 07:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: coolant disappearing

Rather than go over this again, here's 3 pages you can look at to try and answer your question.

2001 coolant loss mystery
Old 17 Sep 2010, 07:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Add bars leak pellits,,, it works..start with 1/2 tube... amazing stuff for mystery leaks-- I put it in at 58K now 85k miles later and ,,, ok... good luck... ( no good for big leaks but those annoying ones it works)dont forget use HOAT antifreeze when refilling---- Mjb
Old 18 Sep 2010, 12:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
Add bars leak pellits,,, it works..start with 1/2 tube... amazing stuff for mystery leaks-- I put it in at 58K now 85k miles later and ,,, ok... good luck... ( no good for big leaks but those annoying ones it works)dont forget use HOAT antifreeze when refilling---- Mjb
isn't it bad to add that leak stuff to the coolant system? I have always been told that its a big no no to do.
Old 18 Sep 2010, 01:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

I do know that I have used the prestone 50/50 mix coolant stuff to fill the car back up and that when I bought the car it had a green coolant in it. I read in that thread you posted a link to that using other coolant can cause the radiator to clog up a bit. Should I try flushing out the coolant system and putting new stuff in?
Old 18 Sep 2010, 01:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

I also noticed that I have a small amount of dried up coolant sitting on the sensor just below the radiator cap and on the threads of that sensor. Could I remove it, clean it up and use some sort of loctit or gasket sealer on the treads to stop anymore from coming out of there?
Old 18 Sep 2010, 01:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Can you see any signs of the coolant leaking from the cap itself. Wouldn't hurt, not expensive, to replace the cap.

Sounds like someone put the wrong coolant in and that could clog up the radiator but I'm not sure if it could cause a leak. However, aluminum doesn't rust -- it just pits away. So there's no visual indication of the condition of your cooling system with an aluminum engine, as many modern designs are. The green stuff will stay green, virtually forever, as your cooling passages literally erode away. Distilled or purified water helps, but the corrosion process is accelerated when you introduce regular tap water into the system.

Your first priority is to find the leak. Have you tried taking it to a garage for a pressure test? They just add a tester to the radiator neck and add pressure to try and pinpoint any leaks.
Old 18 Sep 2010, 01:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Can you see any signs of the coolant leaking from the cap itself. Wouldn't hurt, not expensive, to replace the cap.

Sounds like someone put the wrong coolant in and that could clog up the radiator but I'm not sure if it could cause a leak. However, aluminum doesn't rust -- it just pits away. So there's no visual indication of the condition of your cooling system with an aluminum engine, as many modern designs are. The green stuff will stay green, virtually forever, as your cooling passages literally erode away. Distilled or purified water helps, but the corrosion process is accelerated when you introduce regular tap water into the system.

Your first priority is to find the leak. Have you tried taking it to a garage for a pressure test? They just add a tester to the radiator neck and add pressure to try and pinpoint any leaks.
no I haven't taken it to a garage yet. Just recently started driving it due to it being my winter car. I am gonna try to order a new radiator cap and then maybe thread lock that sensor. I will then try and flush the system and if that doesn't help ill take it into a shop.
Old 18 Sep 2010, 03:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I called bars leak...most major manufacturers use it,, its ok for the smal ones call for your self --you will be surprised,,, MJB