Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2007 Pt with a transmission problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Sep 2010, 10:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2007 Pt with a transmission problem

First, hi guys im a new owner of a pt cruiser ive had it for about a week so far and ive noticed a problem with the tranny. Any help would be much appreciated. My car has the regular 2.4 engine and is automatic. The problem im having is that when ever i speed up above 40 mph, and start slowing down, once the speedometer hits 25MPH on the way down the car shifts down it seems like and you can feel how the car kinda jumps. Ive read a few topics on tranny problems, hopefully this is something electric. I have no other problems, otherwise the car shifts perfectly. I can only feel the car vibrate while acelerating some times but it doesnt seem tranny related.
Thanks for any help guys.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 06:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 Pt with a transmission problem

Welcome to the forum.

Why do you say it's electric? You bought a used car, do you know any of the history? What mileage do you have on it?

The first thing you should do is have the transaxle flushed and new ATF+4 fluid put in. That's the ONLY fluid that's supposed to be used. Flushing takes out ALL the old fluid. Dropping the pan only changes about 4-5 quarts.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 11:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The car has 58k miles, and no history on the car i buy and sell cars so i just buy them off auctions. Never had a problem with any car till this, im kind of regreting getting the pt now. I am thinking about purchasing another pt but a Turbo one. Ive owned 4 srt's now and i would love to test the turbo 2.4 on the pt. Im doubting though because i dont want to get into another headache. Are 2.4 turbos known for tranny problems?
Oh and i think its electric because that seemed like the most common solution i read about in other posts that matched my pt's symptoms. Like a TCM flash or something like that.
Thanks
Old 24 Sep 2010, 12:45 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Ive known pts to have kind of shabby transmissions, my personal one hasn't had a single issue, but friends have.
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 07:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Take it to the dealer and they can reflash the TCM, I had the same problem with my 2008 at about 18,000 miles, no problems since.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 27 Sep 2010, 10:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Im hoping that the reflash of the tcm is the solution! ill be making an appointment at the stealership this week. Ill update on the outcome... hopefully an outcome that doesnt cost so much
Old 27 Sep 2010, 10:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Good luck
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 12:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

ahh i now that i think about it. The battery was disconnected because they were welding a piece that was bad on the body. Could it be that all the transmission needs is to "relearn"? because it did start doing it right after they did this...... ummmmm (trying to save the money LoL)
Old 07 Oct 2010, 02:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok guys, im posting the update so maybe some day some one has the same problem and this will be helpful. I went to the stealer, PCM reflash, transmission relearn, 200 dollars and 4 hours later, a great working car!
It was a bit costly but i am sooo happy that the car is now drivable. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 07 Oct 2010, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: 2007 Pt with a transmission problem

Good news!
I had that check on my auto tranny turbo.
But, if you want to try out a turbo - a real performance GT Convertiblecar....2006 GT Convertible w/ Mods

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!