Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
After Market Exhaust...Whats Legal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2010, 09:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default After Market Exhaust...Whats Legal?

Hey Guys,

First of all, thanks to Crewzin and the guys for all their posts on changing spark plugs and wires, I was able to do it myself and save myself a couple bucks.

My friend who had a PT Cruiser, sold his car and removed his exhaust. Since he didnt need it anymore, he gave it to me.. I went to my local mechanic and asked him if he could install it for me..

"Is it legal or illegal", he said.
I really didnt know, so I kinda pulled it half way out the bag and he told me it was illegal and that he wouldnt install it, nor would most places.
He said it was straight or something and that I would get a ticked very fast.

I didnt really know the laws in the area, so I assumed he was right..
When I looked into it.. I didnt see too much just a sound restriction.. but really I dont know Shiat about it.

Tuning modified vehicles

The exhaust is an american racing, I will take pictures and post it.. and can someone tell me what I could to so I can install this and make it legal..without spending too much
Or just give me some insight.

Thanks Guys

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8415.jpg (98.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8417.jpg (96.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8418.jpg (87.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 21 Sep 2010, 09:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: After Market Exhaust...Whats Legal?

I'm from quebec too, and here any ''free-flowing'' exhaust(like your's), except the ones that come stock on cars like the srt4 for example, are illegals because there are no divisions and multi chambers to absorb the sound. aftermarket exhaust with division and multi chambers(like some flowmaster for example) are usually ''tolerated'' as long as they are not that much loud, because by the law you can't make your car sound louder than stock.

as for getting your exhaust installed and legal... most littles independants garage will install your exhaust, at your own risks and without any responsibility if you get a ticket. then if you find a place that will install it, it really depend of the exhaust because some ''free-flowing'' exhaust are just really loud, and a few a not too loud, then if its not too loud, you drive with your head and you whatch for cops(always be ready to press the clutch and let off the gas with an aftermarket pipe), you can run it a long time before getting a ticket... but I see you are from montreal so there might be alot of cops there

to resume, getting your exhaust intalled in a little independant garage should not be a problem, but you have to take the responsability of having an illegal exhaust, and that it might be tolerated if you drive with your head but it still rise your chances of getting pulled over...

Last edited by yaris; 21 Sep 2010 at 10:03 pm.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 10:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Shiat...That freakind sucks... Ya there are a lot of cops here, and they just love giving tickets. Ahhh... Would they just give you a ticket, or a warning, with a 10 day repair check?

What would I be able to do? I need to change my muffler anyway,.,It looks rusty underneath.. id rather something betther then stock that sounds better but that maybe wont be as illegal..I already have cold air intake..

I saw somewhere on youtube , some dude added some "tip" thing that would normally just be one of those fake ricer add ons , but it made it sound deeper and nice.. anyone know what that is.. or any better ideas..

Thanks guys
Old 21 Sep 2010, 10:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamorn View Post
Shiat...That freakind sucks... Ya there are a lot of cops here, and they just love giving tickets. Ahhh... Would they just give you a ticket, or a warning, with a 10 day repair check?

What would I be able to do? I need to change my muffler anyway,.,It looks rusty underneath.. id rather something betther then stock that sounds better but that maybe wont be as illegal..I already have cold air intake..

I saw somewhere on youtube , some dude added some "tip" thing that would normally just be one of those fake ricer add ons , but it made it sound deeper and nice.. anyone know what that is.. or any better ideas..

Thanks guys
what a cop will gives you... it only depend of the cop, some will gives you a ticket, others only a warning

as for something not as illegal, like I said a multi chamber exhaust, with divisions, will still be illegal as it sound louder than stock, but there are more chances for it to be ''tolerated''

as for the tips, a 4'' eye catching chrome tip may looks good, but it will catch the cops attention too. and I don't think it can change the sound that much... but maybe I'm wrong
Old 22 Sep 2010, 01:45 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I wouldnt install it anyways, looks like junk
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 06:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezinghot View Post
I wouldnt install it anyways, looks like junk
The pipe leading to the muffler - in particular the flange at the end, looks very rusted and I'm not sure how much life you'd get out of it anyway.
The muffler itself is stainless and looks fine.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Sep 2010, 06:55 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Anything stainless should work fine. The materials used dont look terrible, but the construction itself is terrible, obviously just a piece for form, not function. If its legal it would be an easy install, but would most likely lose performance, would probably lose backpreassue. Its also obviously been beat to crap, i recommend selling it for some pocket money.
And it appears to have some sort of resonator inside of it, so it probably does sound like a ricer at higher rpms, which is where you would probably lose hp. Especially with those high rpm cars, you HAVE to have backpreassure in your exhaust, not so much with the pt, but its always needed
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.

Last edited by Freezinghot; 22 Sep 2010 at 06:59 am.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 02:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys..

Ya I know it looks a little beat up at some points, but its not that bad of shape... but I dont think I will install it.. it might not be worth the trouble.. I hate police to begin with, so maybe giving them an exuse to be all up in my face isnt the best idea...
Two questions though... Does a "Tip" exist that would maybe sit on the PT and maybe change the sound a little... From what Ive seen its all show no go.. just maybe make it deeper a little little.....lol
and my current muffler has a few rust areas.. is there something that I can patch it up with?
and how?

Went to garage today and found out I need some shiat done..Ill post it in the appropiate forum though.

Thanks guys..
Old 22 Sep 2010, 03:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yes, lots of online stores and probably autoparts stores have exhaust tips with resonators built it that will change the sound, problem is, threes no real way to know what the sound will be until you try it i dont think. The tip coming out of the stock muffler is so short, that adding a tip would still have to rusty muffler visible and would just look cheap and tacky.I recommend just getting an new exhaust system installed. Would look fantastic and sound amazing, and would be healthier for your car.
And dont hate cops, their just trying to help out society, if you dont do anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about. (says a white male )