Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine light on, cruise control off.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Sep 2010, 10:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine light on, cruise control off.

I need some help folks. What the issue is that when driving down the highway with the cruise on every once in a while the cruise will shut off and the check engine light will come on. If I stop and shut the car off then start and continue the cruise will work again but the CEL will stay on until I drive the car a few more times. What is happening and how do I fix it. The only code my 2003 throws is P0340 then done. Thanks
Old 23 Sep 2010, 11:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine light on, cruise control off.

Welcome to the forum.

The engine fault code that your getting is telling you that the Camshaft Position sensor is failing. It could be the sensor itself or a short in the wiring. Many owners have had this problem including myself, in that case it was my wiring harness.

Do you do any work yourself or leave it to a mechanic. If yourself, start with the harness of the sensor. Take a good look at it and trace it around the back of the engine to see if the harness is intact, all in one piece and not touching anything that could cut or burn out the wires. If it looks good, then it's time to spend about $80 for a genuine Chrysler part (a new Camshaft sensor). It's not to hard to replace but a couple things have to me moved to get to it. Then two small nuts hold it in place.

Old 23 Sep 2010, 12:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, I do do all the work myself so shouldn't be a problem. Would this cause the cruise control to shut off also?
Old 23 Sep 2010, 12:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good question and I'm not sure of an answer but with computer controls the way they are, you never know what a short or failing sensor will have the car do. When my harness failed, the whole car shut down going 80 mph on Route 95 in the middle of South Carolina at 1130 at night. Thank the inventor of cell phones and my Chevron Auto Club to get me out of that one.