PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fault Codes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Sep 2010, 11:03 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Fault Codes

Hi, guys.
I just followed the instructions posted here on the website to see if any fault codes were stored in my 2002PT. I only got one code before the display said "Done".

The code I got was P1684, which according to the information posted here stands for "Driver 5 Line 4". Could someone please tell me what in the heck that means? I have no idea.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 26 Sep 2010, 11:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fault Codes

Steve,
Welcome to the forum. Forget what you read.

P1684 does not indicate a problem; it's only a status, which indicates that the PCM memory has been cleared within the last 50 ignition cycles. "Done" indicates that no DTC's are present and the procedure is complete.

DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Code
Old 27 Sep 2010, 06:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks, Crewzin.
I appreciate the reassurance. Relying on the PT as much as I do to travel back and forth to school and work I guess I kind of get myself unnecessarlly worked up wondering about stuff like this. I really need to read up on technical specifics for the Cruiser more than I have done so far in the short time that I've had it.

I made an appointment today to have the Transmission service done later this week. They said it would run around $149.95. I asked about dropping the pan and replacing the filter at the same time. They said that just flushing out and refilling the trans and Torque Converter is all that's really necessary. I'm also going to have them take a look at the front end while they've got it up on the lift, just to make sure that I don't have any issues there that I need to be aware of.

Have you or any other members on this board ever used BG Products 44K fuel system additive? I was thinking that I may try a bottle of that to see if it helps my idle issues.

Thanks for such an informative website. I downloaded the owners manual and parts manual the other night and saved them on my desktop.

Steve
Old 27 Sep 2010, 06:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My mechanic used the BG flush machine and cleaner before refilling it with the ATF+4. He said the cleaner cleans the wire mesh filter so it doesn't have to be changed. It was also around $150.

As far as the BG additive, it it cleans the injectors and you think that might be your idle problem, I guess it can't hurt. Quit a debate weather additives work or not. I use Chevron Techron injector cleaner once in awhile.

I don't think you've mention your idle problem to us. Have the plugs and wires been changed? You might want to take off and clean the IAC also.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 27 Sep 2010 at 06:50 pm.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 08:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Crewsin,
A couple of days ago, I mentioned the deceleration issue that I thought might've been related to a bad batch of gas. I refilled with the 89 octane ethanol that we have here in Iowa, and it seemed to go away. Driving to school this morning, it did it again a couple of times. The plugs and wires were done about 10k miles ago.

I do notice when I start out from a dead stop, if I just ease on the accelerator, there seems to be a little bit of a dead spot, then it'll pick right up like normal. I was thinking that maybe I should take a look at lubricating the throttle cable to help with that. I did notice today while waiting in line at the bank that with just the fan turned on for air circulation, the idle was around 1000 rpm, then it kicked up a little for a few minutes, then kicked back down again.

I could hear the radiator fan kick on when this happened, then it kicked off. The temp, when warmed up stays exactly at the half-way point. Sometimes when I start it up, it will idle higher then eventually settle down. The same thing happens when I put it in park before shutting it off...the idle will kind of meander around before settling down. I'm not fully tuned in to this vehicle's little quirks yet, as I drove an 88 Chevy Beretta GT for the past 10 years before acquiring the PT from my mother in law.

Steve
Old 27 Sep 2010, 08:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The idle will go up and down whenever the compressor is on either for A/C or for the defrost mode. That's what it sounds like. The engine idle raises whenever the computer sees that a little extra power is needed like when the compressor kicks on or even the power steering is being used.

See it if does it when all the controls (A/C) are off and your not touching the steering wheel. The the idle raise itself then?
Old 28 Sep 2010, 05:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hi, Crewzin.
Where is the IAC located in relation to the throttle body? I'm assuming that it has some kind of electrical connector and wiring connected to it, right? Does it just un-mount, or are there adjustment issues that I need to be aware of when I re-install it? I downloaded the parts manual from the stick notes on this site, but was unable to locate the IAC or see what it looked like.

Sounds like I need to get myself a shop manual or a Chilton's manual, at least. What kind of solvents are safe to use on the IAC to clean it? Carb cleaner?

Thanks in advance for any words of advice that you can offer.

Steve
Old 28 Sep 2010, 07:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Carb cleaner should work. It can be taken apart to clean.

Old 28 Sep 2010, 08:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the visual reference, Crewzin.
That's a really nice looking enging compartment you've got there...very impressive! Did you notice a big difference in handling with the strut tower brace? It made a world of difference when I added one to my 88 Beretta GT.

Is it just a bolt-in mod on the PT's, or is there any modifications required?
Once again, thanks for all of the timely and knowledgeable advice.

Steve
Old 28 Sep 2010, 08:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just a bolt on, but I don't think they make the kind that I have anymore, but there's others.

Yes, the handling is improved especially around corners.