Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hose head

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2002, 05:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hose head

I will soon be getting air bags on my 'Cruiser and have a couple questions for the people who already have them. First off, where did you guys run the air lines to and from the 'bags? Second, I would like to have the ability to do 3-wheel, front, rear, right, left, pancake, etc. and was wondering what you guys have done for a switch box and gauges. Where do you put them? I was thinking of making a custom fiberglass switch panel that would come down, off from the dash and completely cover up the storage slot. I would also mount my gauges on there. I know that there are many different companies that offer the prewired 16 switch box, but I am not sure if it is really necessary, for my application, to have a box that I can use outside the car. Also do you have one tank or two, what size ports do you have, and what size is your compressor. I was thinking about the new one that attaches to the engine by a belt. Have you heard anything about these? If so, tell me about it please. I would like to have it rise and fall pretty quick, but I am not looking for it to hop or anything of the sort, because I have heard that destroys the structure of the car. Also, I don't really need to hop, I just want something to cruise with and do some cool stuff. I hope to hear from people who are using 'bags in the same manner, but all help is welcome. Thanks.

Old 30 May 2002, 12:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to renichms

I have full air suspension and will soon be going for individual wheel control. Right now, it's front and back.

I have one compressor and one tank, both in the back. The tank is against the back seat, on the floor, and the compressor runs along the left side in the back. The compressor is powered directly from the battery, as are the buttons to lift and drop the car, so I can lift and drop it while the car is off (if I forget to drop when turning it off or at shows I can use it).

I'm having my buttons built into the car. The front up, front down, back up, back down and compressor controls are in the driver's side window pillar. For the up and down functions, I have red and black buttons, not actual switches. Push red to go up, black to go down. Those will stay there, with front and rear control, when I get individual wheel control.

When I do get individual wheel control, the extra 8+ buttons will be going near the parking brake, in the slot that fits pens so well (the tiny slot next to the "storage" area where CDs can go between the seats). I'll be having each wheel's individual controls there, sort of tucked away for only my use, or a passenger if I let them. As for side-to-side, I'll have to figure how to fit those extra left and right buttons in there too. But it WILL all fit. So I use no switch box and wouldn't really want one. This way, built into the car, the buttons are out of the way and take no pre-existing "storage" space.

My gauge, soon to be replaced with a lit gauge tied into the rest of the lights in the car, is in the coin holder. The line to it runs under the center console and comes out right at the cup holders through the coin trays. It's tilted so the driver gets the best view of it.

The guys who installed mine said a Cruiser will, with air suspension, readily lay the entire car on the ground (thereby crushing any body kits). Seeing that, they said the heat the exhaust and all produces might be too much for the lines if they ran under the car, so they've run the hoses inside the car, but tucked under panels so they're not seen or heard.

The tank is 5 gallon, I think. I don't know the size of the compressor, but it's small and quiet. If you have the stereo on and car running in traffic, it's easy to forget the compressor is on. I also can't remember the size of the lines but I think it's 1/4". The guys who installed it said if they had run 1/2", the car could jump.

Of course I think you know, the Cruiser typically uses struts in front and bags in rear. Bump stops will limit how low you go unless they're removed or trimmed. I'm going to get mine trimmed to be barely short of hitting ground at lowest. Right now, I can't put my foot under the exhaust tips or rear portion of the side skirts.

Mine lifts faster than it drops the car. It takes less than 2 seconds to go all the way up. The weight of the car is the culprit there, I'm told. It takes about 2-3 seconds to drop the car. My tank holds up to 150 psi and can lift the car, from ground to top lift, about 3-4 times when full. It can completely fill the tank, from empty, in a few minutes. If I intend to play, I tend to fill it completely and leave the compressor running while I do. NEVER let it run longer than a half hour or so. I let a kid play with it at a show and when I went to see if it was hot, the air around it was cool, so I touched the compressor and burned my finger.

Once I actually have individual wheel control, I'll be sure to give any extra information for it. It will allow for better handling and, as you said, "cool stuff."

Good luck with air suspension!

RN

See Mephisto
Old 30 May 2002, 12:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to renichms

Forgot...the compressor switch IS a switch with on and off, so I don't have to hold a button to put air in the tank.

RN

See Mephisto