Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Simple Mods that will safe gaurd your NON turbo engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Sep 2010, 07:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Simple Mods that will safe gaurd your NON turbo engine

I'm getting burnt out with all the info I researched. As you guys know I'm swapping my block out, still waiting for them to drop that 07 block so I can go pick it up.

In the mean time I was going through what happened to the old block. Blown head gasket and the machine shop says the head is warped and can not be surfaced into specs.

I was pondering on how this can be avoided in the future. Since the block is cast iron and the head is cast aluminum there's a heat transfer problem that becomes a common issue and problem out there especially if your fan goes out or something else happens.

After talking with techs, others and researching I have decided to do some simple mods in the expectation that this issue can be avoided.

1- Oil cooler. By adding an oil cooler to your NON turbo it would dramatically reduce heat. They sell universal ones that bolt on to the oil filter location.
But remember to add a little extra oil into your engine to compensate.

2-Header wrap. Wrapping up the exhaust manifold with this will reduce engine compartment heat. I'm getting contradictive input on this one because of the O2 sensors. So this one is still up in the air until I get the proper math done on it.

3-Dual fans. They push out more cfm than the stock. Plus if you wire it properly even if one fan goes out the other is still kicking. Another thing that can be done is to set an additional relay for the fans to come on at a lower temperature.

4-Radiator. Researching to see if I can some how put a higher capacity radiator or a more efficient one. I'm told that the radiator off a turbo model is a dual radiator that incorporates the oil and coolant. I'm still looking into that one.

You definitely don't want to run to cold of an engine were then it would be counterproductive and non efficient for the engine.

Any input anyone has feel free to throw it my way.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 08:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Simple Mods that will safe gaurd your NON turbo engine

OR, you can drive normally, change fluids regularly, and use preventive maintenance to make sure everything is in working order. If something breaks, fix, repair or replace it.

If you have the knowledge and skills to do what you propose, it'll be easy to do it my way.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 08:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Aside from installing an oil cooler, I can't see that any of the other items you mentioned would do you any good. In fact, you might do more harm than good. Your engine needs to warm up to a certain temperature to run at the designer's temperature--thus saving gas. My PT--even when the fan was shot--never got hot. Of course, that was in the Spring--but the ambient temperature was around 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Not 100 degrees+, like our summer weather.

The PT runs at the proper temperature for which it was designed--assuming everything is working properly--thermostat, radiator, sensors, etc. Although, I would really like to know why the cooling system requires a special coolant (Hybrid HOAT). I mean, it's not as if Prestone makes an inferior product that other cars don't manage on for 100,000 miles, or more. So what gives? Why does the car need a "special" coolant?

Does anyone know?

Tim
Old 28 Sep 2010, 08:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Read this ....scroll down to "HOAT Engine Coolant"

Charger Tech Training...The Two-Day Basic Course | Police Fleet Manager Magazine
Old 28 Sep 2010, 08:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

In fact, you might do more harm than good. Your engine needs to warm up to a certain temperature to run at the designer's temperature--thus saving gas.

Tim[/QUOTE]

The thermostat keeps the engine at the proper temperature. It would not open up until it reaches a certain temperature. I think 195 F or so. A couple of degrees lower won't hurt. Running at the proper temperature really doesn't save gas directly but it is a by product of it. Plus having the fuel air mixture enter the cylinder at a cooler state is also efficient. And making the cooling system more efficient just helps. I believe keeping it around 185 F is good.
As the engine warms to it's proper temp the cylinder expands and the pistons and rings float more efficiently in it's bore thus creating less friction and wear and tear on the walls and the rings thus saving gas also.

There is always un controlling factors that can occur. Keeping up the maintenance is definitely a plus to avoid this but also is making it more efficient with simple mods. It's not a guarantee but a little insurance doesn't hurt either.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 09:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckybadazzboy View Post

The thermostat keeps the engine at the proper temperature. It would not open up until it reaches a certain temperature. I think 195 F or so. A couple of degrees lower won't hurt. Running at the proper temperature really doesn't save gas directly but it is a by product of it. Plus having the fuel air mixture enter the cylinder at a cooler state is also efficient. And making the cooling system more efficient just helps. I believe keeping it around 185 F is good.
As the engine warms to it's proper temp the cylinder expands and the pistons and rings float more efficiently in it's bore thus creating less friction and wear and tear on the walls and the rings thus saving gas also.

There is always un controlling factors that can occur. Keeping up the maintenance is definitely a plus to avoid this but also is making it more efficient with simple mods. It's not a guarantee but a little insurance doesn't hurt either.
You are wrong. HIGHER engine temps create a more fuel efficient engine. A blown head gasket is due to ignoring problems due to lack of oil (maintenance), or lack of coolant circulation. Usually because it leaked out and was not stopped and continued to run.
In the end, nearly all engine related problems on all cars are a direct result of a person failing to keep adequate coolant or oil in the car at all times.

Running a 185* thermostat will result in you having worse fuel economy, and lower heat in the passenger compartment. Otherwise it will not cause any harm at all.

Last edited by malachi; 28 Sep 2010 at 09:30 pm.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 09:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by malachi View Post
You are wrong. HIGHER engine temps create a more fuel efficient engine. A blown head gasket is due to ignoring problems due to lack of oil (maintenance), or lack of coolant circulation. Usually because it leaked out and was not stopped and continued to run.
In the end, nearly all engine related problems on all cars are a direct result of a person failing to keep adequate coolant or oil in the car at all times.

Running a 185* thermostat will result in you having worse fuel economy, and lower heat in the passenger compartment. Otherwise it will not cause any harm at all.
That's a matter of opinion. The math can go either way. Even on paper it can actually differ when it comes to real world applications. Now even if it was 100% true on paper and real world applications the fuel economy would be so negligible that it wouldn't even matter. I would be more concerned with engine longevity than negligible fuel economy.

Now do your really believe that all engine related problems is a result of inadequate maintenance. Come on dude. Parts do fail. If not cars would last forever and ever.

Like my 1941 Ford coupe.

DSCF2001.jpg

DSCF2002.jpg

DSCF2004.jpg

Gotta love it BABY
Old 28 Sep 2010, 10:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Running a 185* thermostat will result in you having worse fuel economy, and lower heat in the passenger compartment. Otherwise it will not cause any harm at all.[/QUOTE]

I'm not running an 185 thermostat i'm keep the stock 195. As far as I know they don't even sell a lower thermostat for this cruiser. With the mods I intend to place I'm just making sure it won't go a degree above what it should.

engines can last over 300,000 miles when oil temperature is kept in the optimal 180-210F range. As oil temperature rises engine life declines rapidly. If the temperature is too high the engine will fail in short order. As temperature increases and viscosity drops the oil film layer gets progressively thinner. Eventually, metal irregularities begin to contact and we no longer have hydrodynamic lubrication. The condition becomes more pronounced as temperature continues to climb and viscosity and film thickness continue to decline. Engine wear increases dramatically.

It all depends what you are after.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 11:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

a lot of good points here and I'm not getting into this but I can tell you that a Chevy S 10 with the 4.3 runs at a really high temp at least on the temp gauge it is over 200 in fact closer t0 210 it runs the oil through the rad. and most had the added oil filter that was actually 2 filters mounted on the fender well and it came from the factory with a oil cooler and a tyranny cooler and mine was at 225000 miles when i traded it and as far as I know it is still running

now it was not a 4 banger but it had a tone of power the mpg's sucked hey it was a 4x4 truck
Old 28 Sep 2010, 11:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

oh love the ford what motor is that???