Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Sep 2010, 01:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Battery issues

We have an automatic 2001 PT for a couple of mos. Pretty much drive it everyday. I drive 45 miles to work each day (highway) to go to work. 2 days ago, left the fan on accidentally while at work, when left work battery was dead and needed a jump. Battery is 2 yrs old. Drove home after jump. Next day started fine, drove to work, then started fine to come home. Left in driveway 1/2 hr while in house, then came out to go somewhere and needed a jump again. This morning the car was fine driving to work. Need some help - is it the battery? The time needed to jump the car was not very long at all.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 03:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Battery issues

I read somewhere once that a cheap battery, once it dies, does damage to the internal plates. Easy enough to take it to one of the auto stores that will check the battery and charging system for free. The best test is to take the battery out of the car, but not necessary for a quick check.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 03:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks - this is our second Cruiser. The first one we bought in fall 2000. It was a manual transmission with about 218,000 miles (mainly highway of course). It was totaled in an accident a couple of months ago - someone ran a stop sign and hit me on the side. We were devastated.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 04:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Glad you weren't seriously hurt and glad to know of the outstanding longevity of your first cruiser. Plan on keeping mine around for quite some time.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 11:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZRLVR View Post
We have an automatic 2001 PT for a couple of mos. Pretty much drive it everyday. I drive 45 miles to work each day (highway) to go to work. 2 days ago, left the fan on accidentally while at work, when left work battery was dead and needed a jump. Battery is 2 yrs old. Drove home after jump. Next day started fine, drove to work, then started fine to come home. Left in driveway 1/2 hr while in house, then came out to go somewhere and needed a jump again. This morning the car was fine driving to work. Need some help - is it the battery? The time needed to jump the car was not very long at all.
Yes I think it is the battery that has a failure. Try to change it or recharge it.