Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
fan belt squeaks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Sep 2010, 06:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool fan belt squeaks

My 2006 Base PT Cruiser has slowly developed a squeaky fan belt. It is intermittent, squeaking loudest after not being driven for a few days. It always goes away as the engine runs. I know there is something you can spray (?) on the belt, but I am limited in my ability to reach the belt. I only have AC as a factory option. I have close to 20K miles on the engine and I've had the oil changed and all standard care done every 2K to 3K miles. Recommendations please?
Old 30 Sep 2010, 07:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: fan belt squeaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoK85 View Post
My 2006 Base PT Cruiser has slowly developed a squeaky fan belt. It is intermittent, squeaking loudest after not being driven for a few days. It always goes away as the engine runs. I know there is something you can spray (?) on the belt, but I am limited in my ability to reach the belt. I only have AC as a factory option. I have close to 20K miles on the engine and I've had the oil changed and all standard care done every 2K to 3K miles. Recommendations please?
The issue cannot be with the fan belt, because one does not exist. There are two belts though, not including the timing belt. You can access them by taking off the passenger wheel and removing the splash shield.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 08:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I appreciate the paulrosenthal reply, but it was worded in a way that made me feel stupid, whether it was meant to or not. I understand that there are mostly serpentine belts these days, and the other belt on a PT is for the AC if one has it. I was asking for answers to fix a belt squeak, so maybe asking the question using both belt names, though longer, would have been more accurate. Taking off the wheel and liner would be helpful to a person without my limitations. Thanks anyway.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 09:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

DeanoK85,

I do apologize if I offended you in any way, as that was not my intention.

I have heard most people speak of belt spray negatively, however, if you would like to try it, you can see one (maybe both of, I can't remember) belt through the top. It is on the left side, and it's really hard to see, trust me! If you can can get one with a little extension, that might help.

Paul
Old 30 Sep 2010, 09:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you, Paul! When I first heard the squeak, and looked under the hood, I was stunned by how little of the one belt was visible, at the bottom of the engine bay. I could even see another belt. I will ask the technician to check the belts thoroughly, since it's obvious I won't be able to deal with this [should be simple] issue.
This is really the first issue that's come up. I hope my luck holds until it's paid-off! LOL

Thanks again,
Deano
Old 02 Oct 2010, 08:09 am
Banned

Plese refer to removing alternator from the top It's only a few threads down from this one.

Jerry
Old 04 Oct 2010, 10:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Do NOT use a belt spray on the PT belts. Have the belts adjusted and checked for wear. While they're at it, have them check the serpentine belt adjuster to see if it's failing. Mine did at just over 36,000 miles.

Belt spray is like those His and Hers topical ointments (if you know what I mean). Like Poe said in The Raven "... there is no balm in Gilead."

If you want to check the belts yourself, get a Haynes Manual and follow the instructions carefully. But I'd rather let the dealer mess with that stuff, since I don't want to play with things that are that tight. My knuckles bruise easily ....

Tim