PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator/cooling fan relay part number for PT 06?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2010, 02:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Radiator/cooling fan relay part number for PT 06?

I hope someone here can help me out, because I'm totally baffled.
I want to purchase a relay for the radiator/cooling fan for my 2006 PT. There are two identical ones mounted side-by-side on the shroud. TYCO VF4-35F21-Z05 #04692079AA. All the local car parts places (Autozone, Advance) come up with the wrong part, OEM #5269988AA. I have checked ALL available PT relays and cannot find this thing anywhere. What the heck is going on? How and where can I get this thing??
Old 02 Oct 2010, 02:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator/cooling fan relay part number for PT 06?

Chrysler is always changing part #'s, check with a dealer to see what the currant part number and go from there.

Welcome to the Forum!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 02 Oct 2010, 02:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, but it's the weekend and the dealers don't *do* parts until Monday.

I know what you're saying about the ever changing part numbers, but this one is weird though. I checked every year from 2004 to 2008 and they all show that same, non-fitting, part. I think it's the relay that is located in the power distribution center, and the 06 PT has them on the shroud. I guess Chrysler simply forgot to add it to the parts catalog, lol.

Thank you for your quick reply and the welcome!
Old 02 Oct 2010, 03:19 pm
Banned

Save yoiurself some shoe leather and tire rubber and simply call around to some other parts houses. NAPA is the most likely. Also, all of these these parts houses (including the two you've already talked to) have "cross referances". They can take the mopar number and cross it to there number. You have to find a counter person that knows his butt from a hole in the ground and is willing to go the extra mile and use it. I've had my local "advance" use it more than once when I've been working on some of my local PT's.

Jerry
Old 02 Oct 2010, 06:06 pm
Young Cruiser

correct me if i'm wrong, i thought 06 pt's and older the fan is controlled by PCM/TIPM !? and not the relays, simply if your fan isnt working anymore it is the fan not the relays

accross this website there are many cruisers who had this problem and ended up replacing the fan, mine just clocked 70k and last week i noticed that the fan is dead propably by tomorrow it will be replaced.

good luck
Old 02 Oct 2010, 06:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

On all the cruisers, the fan is controlled by a few different things to include the relays, coolant temperature sensor and computer. Rarely when either speed of the fan stops working does it turn out to be the relays, but it does happen. 9 times out of 10 its' the bushings in the fan motor but there have been cases where the fan electrical connection was bad (corroded or not connected properly).
Old 02 Oct 2010, 09:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It's not that the fan isn't working, it kept running after I switched the engine off. Simply disconnected the battery that night (it was dark), next morning hooked it back up -> fan started again immediately. Disconnected relay, started the car, had friend check out everything - wiring going to the fan and the relay itself - with a multimeter, he said put it back in there, everything looks fine now. Apparently, it (whatever "it" was) reset itself or got un-stuck.
It is running fine now and the fan is no longer staying on, but I don't trust the situation and would rather get to the bottom of it.

Either way, my first guess: it's the relay. Any other suggestions based on what happened?

Last edited by TwoCats; 02 Oct 2010 at 09:42 pm.
Old 02 Oct 2010, 09:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Who knows. Yea, it could have been a relay, or resetting the computer, or the connections to the fan. Now that's it's working, if you want to change the relay, take your time and find the right one. You can wait till Monday for the dealer to open shop.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 03:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Radiator/cooling fan relay part number for PT 06?

Here is what I've found so far on the 2007 PT my gal drives. Chrysler blew it on the aftermarket part info. 'No one' has the right part out of the 1/2 dozen I have tried, if they even show it in their books. You're going to have to find the relays for the hi and lo speed fan circuit somewhere else. I have not tried a dealer, this left a pretty rotten taste in my mouth about handing them any more money for their goof up. Maybe I can save someone else this grief.. that's my hope.
What I am going to try now is finding the part directly from TYCO through an electronics parts house, a salvage (my least fav option), or from eBay (which I have already located 10 of them, but would rather not wait on shipping/pay 2x what they're really worth.. if I can avoid it).
Here are the part numbers you are intersted in:

TYCO VF4-35F21-Z05
04692079AA
72472V

The info sheet appears to be here:
http://relays.tycoelectronics.com/datasheets/VF4.pdf
Old 14 Jul 2011, 01:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Here's the story ending. Parts never found at any of the local 3rd party parts houses which included Napa, O'Reilly, Autozone, Pep Boys and one more. Parts found at the local dealer, about $10 each for the 2 identical relays - even though the Chrysler books at the dealer showed them to be different parts they are NOT on this 2007 PT. As anyone who's pulled one of these knows, they HAVE to be an identical replacement because of the shape, plug type and mounting built on to the exterior of them.

They are identical part numbers from what was on the car from the dealer, meaning likely Chrysler bought a big stock of them to have or TYCO still makes them as of this date (July 13th, 2011). Installed the parts tonight, errors haven't shown back up on the OBD II as of yet nor has the fan failed to kick on yet. I test drove for about 25 miles hwy/side road/neighborhoods, etc... I will reserve it as a 'fix' for about the next month. If the fan is dying it could be that it's pulling too much amperage and toasting them.. can't say yet.

If anything changes I'll put it out here for reference to the rest of the group.
Thanks All !

Tags
fan, part number, relay