PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
poll: radiator fan replacement

View Poll Results: has your radiator fan been replaced before ?
no, it is still the original 4 25.00%
yes, stopped working and i had to replace it 10 62.50%
not sure, purchased the car used. 1 6.25%
yes,had to replace it due to an accident 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2010, 06:23 pm
Young Cruiser

Default poll: radiator fan replacement

my pt just passed 70k and my radiator fan isnt working no more and since this happened to me i was wandering how many pt drivers had to replace it and what was the milage on the car at the time of replacement. it isnt a big deal but i noticed that there are a lot of threads talking about radiator fan malfunctioning so here we go

did you have your radiator fan replaced ? at what milage ?
Old 02 Oct 2010, 06:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: poll: radiator fan replacement

Yea, I guess you could say I had to replace it and didn't like the price that the dealer wanted to do it. The high speed burnt out back in about 2003 and later made a tutorial on how to do it since so many wanted to do it themselves.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT

Last edited by CREWZIN; 02 Oct 2010 at 06:51 pm.
Old 02 Oct 2010, 07:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Yea, I guess you could say I had to replace it and didn't like the price that the dealer wanted to do it. The high speed burnt out back in about 2003 and later made a tutorial on how to do it since so many wanted to do it themselves.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT
much appreciate the write up and i'll be the one replacing mine (new fan assembly with lifetime warrenty )
Old 04 Oct 2010, 10:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have a 2003 PT Limited. The fan went out at 67,000 miles. I had it replaced with a Chrysler one--and maybe I'll get another 60,000 out of it before the creek rises next spring ....

Apparently, something is very substandard about the fan bearings ... brushes ... whatever. Maybe some of the aftermarket fans will last a bit longer. Who knows.

However, if you're driving from L.A. to New York City .... without stopping to idle for very long with your a/c on, then you don't need no stinkin' fan!

Tim
Old 04 Oct 2010, 11:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Mine was done before I got the car at 33000 miles, it was replaced by the dealer hopefully they put one that will last more than 33000 miles.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 17 Oct 2010, 05:22 am
Young Cruiser

ok finally got my fan replaced

on a side note there is a slight difference with the 06 and up design as the connection to the fan is four prongs instead of three and there is two small boxes attached on the top corner of the fan assembly.. returned the first one as it was the older design and ordered it right the 2nd time from rockauto

i had to take the battery out and its base too in order to swap the fans and also found out that the lower radiator hose had a small leak so got that fixed too finally everything (hopefully) back on track
Old 17 Oct 2010, 09:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The two small boxes you found on the fan assembly should be the high and low speed relays for the fan.
Old 22 Oct 2010, 12:17 pm
Young Cruiser

Talking Re: poll: radiator fan replacement

Yep, replaced mine last winter along with the radiator that also had a "blow-out" (don't know which came first). Learned a bunch about the car since then (because I found this forum when the dealer wanted $1500 for the radiator and fan assembly).

Since then, I've also been able to dianose and change the camshaft sensor (following a P0340 error), change plugs (non-platinum for my Turbo), and wires, valve cover gasket and well seals (leaking) and bell crank link.

You guys here are awesome! Thanks for all the help over the past year.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 10:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Don't let the job worry you if you think you might want to try it yourself. I did it in my driveway about a month after a minor stroke. It's pretty simple as those things go.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 06:02 pm
Young Cruiser

I just put a new fan in today on my lunch break. It had 55,000 miles on it for a 2007. I put in a aftermarket one and it looked like it was a pretty good fan assembly and went right in and only took an hour.It was a Dorman 620-052 and cost me $155.