Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cold Air Intake Setups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2010, 07:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Cold Air Intake Setups

Hey, guys. I've seen several Cold Air Intake setups on E-Bay Motors, with the filter, curved tubing and a coupling sleeve. Can anyone recommend one which would be pretty decent quality, without costing an arm and a leg? I really don't want to spend the kind of money that they're asking for the K&N kit.

Or better yet, can anyone who has purchased one of these off of E-Bay Motors tell which ones to stay away from?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 02 Oct 2010, 08:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cold Air Intake Setups

Steve,

All the air intakes you see on eBay are about the same and they are NOT cold air intakes, no matter what they say. I have one. It lets in more air, has a washable filter so you can keep it nearly forever and makes a great sound when you put your foot to the floor. But, they draw in as much warm/hot air as they do cool air from the hole in the fenderwell. Some say you loose torque but I haven't experienced any loss, in fact letting in more air, warm or cold, I've noticed there is no longer a lag when you put your foot to the floor from a standing start whereas I used to stomp on it and it would go a little, then lag, then pick up again. Now it just goes all the way up to redline if I wanted it to. Not like a turbo but enough to keep up or beat 90% of the surrounding traffic. The more expensive ones will have more chrome at both ends of the filter.

If you really want one. Look for a washable filter and take a good look at the shipping charges. Most of the time the shiping is more than the price of the filter.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 02 Oct 2010 at 08:19 pm.
Old 02 Oct 2010, 09:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hi, Crewzin.
You're right...I should've worded my question a little differently. I realize that they are not true "cold" air intake systems, as they are sucking in air at whatever the ambient temperature inside the engine bay happens to be. I have see some with a partial housing for the filter end to help block hot air from the exhaust from getting sucked directly into them. I ran into the same issues when I put one on my 2.8L Beretta GT.

Do the PT's have an air intake temp sensor inserted in the airstream between the stock filterbox and the throttle body? If so, do these aftermarket kits have a mounting hole with some sort of rubber grommet to hold the air intake temp sensor in place? What got me to thinking about getting one was the picture of your engine bay, in addition to what you said about it eliminating that annoying throttle lag that you get when starting from a dead stop.

Steve
Old 02 Oct 2010, 09:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, they should have two holes with grommets if you have the 01-05 PT Cruiser. One for the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor and one for the vacuum tube that comes from the valve cover.

You can see the dual hole grommets in the picture below near the throttle body end of the tube.

Old 02 Oct 2010, 09:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

WOW!!
Sweet motor, Crewzin!!
CB
Old 02 Oct 2010, 09:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks.
Old 02 Oct 2010, 10:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin, you mean that for a mere $29.95 and some elbow grease, I can finally stomp the gas and actually go somewhere fast?
All kidding aside, I'd love to be able to actually accelerate when passing a car or merging into traffic....

P.S. Very nice looking PT you got there. Are you coming to the Gulf Coast this week to show it off?
Old 02 Oct 2010, 10:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I said it gets rid of the "lag" not turn it into a GT. Saying that, I've never had trouble keeping up with 99% of the everyday traffic. It will cruise all day at any speed I want and merge into traffic with no problem.

Am I coming to the Gulf Coast to show it off? I live on the gulf coast, 20 minutes from the waters edge. Where are you talking about? I don't attend car shows as a participant any more. I've done 100's of them. I'll go with a group and show my cars but won't compete.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 02 Oct 2010 at 10:41 pm.
Old 02 Oct 2010, 10:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ah, that would be the Mississippi Gulf Coast. From Ocean Springs to Bay St. Louis. It's "Cruisin' the Coast" and starts tomorrow and lasts until next Sunday.

I never participated, but it's more about showing off than fierce competition I think. There are many parades over the course of 8 days, and after each one all participants just park downtown somewhere, open the hood and get out the chairs and coolers. Just fun.
Old 02 Oct 2010, 11:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like my kind of fun, but too far and not enough time. Not single and carefree anymore (actually for the last 41 years) so can't just pack a bag and take off. Wife would love to see the Miss GC and I've never been there either. Maybe next time with a little bit more notice.