PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Oct 2010, 09:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question PT transmission

Hi everyone,
Yesterday, I had a interesting problem with my transmission. My brother and I drove into Beverly Hills on the 405 and were caught in heavy traffic. I noticed that my pt would shift very rough if i hit the gas and then let off to coast in traffic. once we got off of the freeway, we noticed it downshifting very rough from 2nd to 1st when i would hit the brakes. It kept doing it for the rest of the day. I know that these transmissions are adaptive and fully electronic, so I decided to unplug the battery and wait 15 minutes, and then plug it back in. That fixed most of the problem, and then I drove it last night, and just got back from a drive to starbucks this morning. I figure that it should have re adapted by now because it doesn't shift rough. My question is why did it all of the sudden start doing this?

Thanks,
-Hayden
Old 03 Oct 2010, 09:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT transmission

What tear is your car and what kind of mileage do you have? Was the transmission ever flushed?
Old 03 Oct 2010, 09:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

My pt is an ex rental car. It has 37,910 miles on it (I've put almost 4,000 miles on it). The only thing i've done is an oil change, nothing else. I think that the rental car company stays on top of services of the drivetrain. The tranny seems fine now, but what do you suggest I do?
Old 03 Oct 2010, 10:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, if it's driving OK now, you can just leave it alone. We on the forum suggest a trans flush at about 50,000. Not just drop the pan which only gets about 5 quarts of ATF+4 but a full flush that takes about 14 Qts. It runs somewhere around $150 but well worth it if you plan on keeping the car for another few years. Make sure whoever does it, they ONLY use ATF+4 trans fluid. Don't let anyone say that there stuff is just as good. There are different brands but make sure you see the AFT+4 somewhere on the label and make sure they have a flushing machine (usually it's a BG brand machine) which gets all the old fluid out.

Now your gonna ask why the trans did what it did. Good question. The transaxle in the PT isn't the strongest one around. Being a rental car, you have no idea how the car was treated. Do you now the saying "drive it like you stole it", well that's how a lot of people treat rental cars. Not good with a automatic PT. Hopefully there's no real damage.
Old 04 Oct 2010, 10:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

It sounds like your auto trans "unlearned" itself somehow. Mine did so simply because the dealer underfilled it (when I had them change the auto trans oil, that was), then topped it off to full ....

It shifted strangely, so I took it back to them the next day, and they put some program into it to "relearn" it. Then it shifted wonderfully.

You might take it to a shop and have them check it out, at least. I'd opt for the dealer (if you have a good one in your area).

Tim

Tags
adaptive transmission, battery, engine, reset, transmission