Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Winding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Oct 2010, 06:02 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Winding

Seems that recently as the temperature dropped and my car gets nice and cool , when i start it i hear a winding . Has to be a belt because thats what it sounds like. But when the car warms up, it stops. Not sure if the temperature plays into it, or if its just coincidence.
Havent noticed it doing this in the past. The car doesnt run bad, it doesnt sound harmed, just a loud belt. Is this normal? anyone experienced this.
Have the day off so im trying to avoid going out there and getting under the hood. Gonna be a lazy day
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 04 Oct 2010, 10:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Winding

Sounds like a belt adjustment is in order.

tim
Old 04 Oct 2010, 10:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thats what im thinking it is too. wasnt 100% since i haven't experienced it with this car yet. Drove it earlier today and it didnt do it. Seems that its only occasionally that it does it.
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 04 Oct 2010, 10:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

You have 110,000 miles on your PT? Have you had your belts changed, yet? If not, then I'd definitely suspect it was a belt thing. Especially since the sound goes away when the belt gets warmer after a few miles.

How about your timing belt? It's about time to change that, too ....

Tim
Old 04 Oct 2010, 10:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ya, definetly time to change the timing belt, but time is the only issue i have right now.
Old 04 Oct 2010, 11:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well then, since you have the time, you might look up one of the Sticky's (or get a Hayne's manual--they're cheap) and at least check and adjust your belts. That'll take care of your immediate hassle.

Later,

Tim
Old 05 Oct 2010, 12:48 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Ya, ive had a haynes manual . Problem is that i dont really have the time. Was hoping to narrow down the problem before i go and take a look. Was just looking for first-hand-experience in the matter.