PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Can't get the cigarette lighter/plug to work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2010, 12:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Can't get the cigarette lighter/plug to work.

Haha, I'm new and I joined JUST to ask this. I'm about at my wit's end. I know nothing about cars and no other website has been helpful! I feel like I'm posting this in the wrong section and if I am, I apologize. I didn't know which section would be best!

I have a 2003 PT, Touring Edition. I bought it used in 2007. Ever since I got it, the cigarette lighter/AC adapter hasn't worked. It never really bothered me because I had no use for it, but now I'd like to be able to get a GPS and a phone charger for my car, and if I've got nothing to plug them into, it's obviously going to be a problem.

From what I've been told, it doesn't work because a fuse has been blown. I've checked the fuse-box by the drivers panel, and I see the different fuses, but none of them seem to be for the cigarette lighter. I downloaded the user manual from Chrysler.com (my car didn't come with a manual) but they only have from model year 2004 on, and the fuse numbers seem to be different.

Money's kind of an object so I'd rather not have to bring it to a dealer, especially if it's a simple fix.

Thanks in advance!

If you need any other details I'd be glad to share!

Last edited by randomlancila; 05 Oct 2010 at 12:54 am. Reason: more information!
Old 05 Oct 2010, 01:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Can't get the cigarette lighter/plug to work.

Check fuse #19 in the fuse box behind the battery. If not, then check the rest :P im having a hard time finding a definite answer for you as well.
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 05 Oct 2010, 06:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.
Freezinghot is correct. You have another fuse box called the PDC (Power Distribution Center) in the engine compartment under the air filter. It's a little hassle getting to it but it all comes apart if you take your time. The black oblong box has fuses and relays and like the answer above, the No#19 fuse (Yellow 20 Amp) is for the Power Outlets.

Old 05 Oct 2010, 03:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well heck, look at that. I was looking at the wrong fusebox. I took a peek under the hood and lo and behold, there's the fusebox! I haven't had a chance to stop anywhere and get a new fuse, but once I do I'll let you guys know if it worked!
Old 05 Oct 2010, 05:00 pm
Banned

The exact same diagram is in your drivers manual that comes in every PT. It's a good read. Lots of interesting stuff in it.

Jerry
Old 05 Oct 2010, 05:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Jerry, many times when you buy a used vehicle the owners manual is missing. I have no idea why anyone would keep the manual for a car they are trading in!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Oct 2010, 06:50 pm
Banned

Ya, I've got a theory that all the missing manuals are in room # 211 in a Holiday Inn in Terre Haute, Indiana.

Don't laugh! It could happen.

or not

Jerry
Old 06 Oct 2010, 12:01 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Actually i have them all. Looking to make a few bucks. Also when i trade a car in, i keep the manual so i can go to the dealership a year later and say "oh, forgot to give you this for my 1975 vega"
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 08:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to mole

i know its an old thread but it had useful info. i could not find the fuse for the cigarette lighters and this had the location info in it. THANKS!. i dont smoke but use it to charge the cell.

2004 SRT-4 built
2005 SRT-4 mole' 16g bws setup. 380hp 444tq 11.7@122 100% stock motor/head/axles. Dsp tuned.
2003.5 MazdaSPEED Protege stock
2004 PtGT Atx BWS SETUP and a few bolt ons. stay tuned for dyno #s
Contact me for all your BWS/DCR needs..........
Old 15 Apr 2013, 09:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Glad he asked this.

I ran into the same exact problem today. I was on my way to lisbon falls ME from saco ME today *50 mile trip* to somewhere i had never been.

So i turned on my GPS, unplugged my radar detector and went to plug in my phone charger, and boom! No AC power to the outlet lol

I myself being a GREAT! MECHANIC as you all know by now :-p, Looked in the under dash fuse area and thought to myself ...........self........why the heck is there no fuse for this in here.

Thought i was gonna be doomed to not using any electronics in my car......but this thread has fixed my wagon! :-D