Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator overflow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2010, 07:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Radiator overflow

I have a 2001 PT with 72K miles. Yesterday, I came out to the car and there was a small amount (approx. 1-2 oz.) of antifreeze on the ground under the passenger side front bumper. The car had been sitting about 5 hours and I know the fluid was not there when I parked as I walk past that part of the car back and forth. I visually inspected for leaks and did not find anything wet other than the bottom of the bumper. I ran the engine for 10 minutes looking to see if there was a pinhole or other subtle leak . . . nothing. I topped off the radiator just in case and let it sit overnight in a spot with not puddle checking it intermittently until I went to bed without incident. I cam out this morning and I puddle of 1-2 oz of antifreeze was under the car again. I think it is coming from the overfrlow drain as the radiator cools. Ir does not leak while running. Is this indicative of a thermostat problem, or is it something else like the radiator cap being defective?

Any help/thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Old 05 Oct 2010, 08:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator overflow

Very peculiar.
How does the hose look that goes from the radiator to the overflow tank?
If that looks okay, then a radiator cap is cheap enogh

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Oct 2010, 09:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hose looks okay at least on initial visual inspection. It is wrapped in the mesh anti-abrasion wrap. I'll look closer at the hose where it connects to the neck on the radiator to make sure it isn't dry rotted (factory hoses).
Old 05 Oct 2010, 02:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did some additional inspection on the radiator and hoses. The reservoir hose is still serviceable and not leaking. The upper and lower radiator hoses are still in good condition and supple. The leak appears to be coming from some point on the lower radiator on the passenger side. I can see that it is wet but not where the source is. From the top the hoses and AC lines block a lot of the view and from the underside, the bottom of the molded body panel (below the bumper) extends back far enough to block a good view.

I can run the engine and it does not leak. It only leaks when the engine is turned off and then drips 1-2 oz. of coolant and stops.

On a side note, if I need to replace the radiator, what is a CSF radiator. i saw these online and they are half the price of the one listed on other sites like MoparPartsAmerica.
Old 06 Oct 2010, 09:22 am
Senior Cruiser

Radiator leaks weren't uncommon with the PT mine was replaced at 33000 miles along with the fan. Not sure on the radiator question.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 04 Nov 2010, 09:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

33,000 miles? Thats pretty bad. I feel like my car is still almost brand new and I have 27,000 miles. I don't like to hear that!

-J

Belleville Wire Cloth Co., Inc - Woven Wire Mesh | Wire Cloth | Stainless Steel Wire Mesh | Wire Cloth Strainer
Old 04 Nov 2010, 10:51 am
Banned

Yep, another 6,000 miles and you'll have to replace your radiator.

Jerry
Old 04 Nov 2010, 12:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Had a similiar problem with my 02' and it was a worn cap. Same problem on my Chrysler van and a new cap took care of it.
Old 04 Nov 2010, 12:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Is there any streaking on the neck of the radiator fill tube?
This is where the raditor cap actually screws on to the radiator.
My cap leaked intermittently but it left streaks on the black metal of the radiator and was very easy to detect.

I also found that keeping my coolant reservoir below the full mark made a difference to.
Each time I would fill the reservoir to Full with in a week it would always be an inch below.
So now I just keep it an inch below the Full mark.
Old 04 Nov 2010, 02:34 pm
Banned

I know you're aware that the radiator cap isn't attached directly to the radiator and that the reason the level was an inch down when you checked it was because it was cold when you checked it. That's why you have two marks on the overflow bottle. The lower one is the "cold" level and the top one is the "hot" level. As I said, I know you were already aware of this.

Jerry