Advertisements
How to: Air filter box modification

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Nov 2010, 05:42 pm
Banned

Default Re: How to: Air filter box modification

X3

Several years ago before I switched to the K&N Apollo, I was given a Tornado By a fellow PT owner that was disappointed with it. I thought yea, I can make this work. I tried it in the "box" end of the pipe, made no differance what-so-ever. I then tried it in the tb end of the pipe and my performance and mileage dropped (2-3 miles per gallon). Don't do it.

Jerry
Old 21 Nov 2010, 06:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I feel like I'm following Jerry around today...lol...X4, we did a test on my car with the tornado on another site and it produces no known changes at all. I mean no difference of any type, and that was with me logging around 11 measurements with my Predator, and if that doesn't see any changes then the thing is basically a waste of money.

As to the airbox, I always suggest going with the K&N drop in, and removing any of those airflow restrictions that you can on your intake. My airbox looks to be completely different but not sure. I did post a long mod also but on another site. I tested the Typhoon cold air/hotterthanhell air intake, and it actually reduced my mileage by 3 mpg and I lost almost 2hp with it. Go figure. If I could race my car right after starting the engine with it cold, it would be great, but once you're producing heat, you can forget about any improvements.

Sooner, you have that really nice Airrade that seals to the hood, that's the one I should have gone with. I've no experience with the Apollo but it sure looks like what I want to go with so Jerry tell us how that's working!
Old 21 Nov 2010, 07:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Ironman

How does this help? the air inlet on the fender is the size of the stock air inlet tube.
Non Turbo, Automatic Transmission 2003 Touring Edition, 104,xxx miles so far. Extras- cruise control, fog lights, sun roof, rear defroster, ABS, rear disk brakes, six speaker sound system, power locks, power windows, A.C., window tint, locking glove box. My personal mods so far- removed white air restricter, white hibiscus flowers sticker above the rear hatch lock, nice white primer/rust splotch underneath the passenger side tail light from bodywork...more to come once the money starts flowing freer and the car is payed off
Old 22 Jul 2011, 10:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: How to: Air filter box modification

OK, so I did the air box mod this afternoon on the 2010 Couture.
I did not want to have to do the whole air intake system replacement.
Thanks for the "How To", Merlin1!
How to: Air filter box modification

But, I did a few minor improvements, I hope.
1. Where the larger intake tube goes to the wheel well, I placed a thin layer of foam (like a gasket) to help seal that area better from engine heat entering.
2. I decided that we get so few heavy rains here, that I would also place a small area of open screen in the intake tube area/cover in the wheel well. I will have to remember that if I ever on a trip where there is flooding.

**PLEASE NOTE - If I had to do it over, I would cut the larger hole for the 3 inch elbow centered more towards the back of the air box - not centered where it was.
(Had to have it angled slightly to be centerd over the hole in the wheel well.)

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 22 Jul 2011 at 10:29 pm.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 04:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
2. I decided that we get so few heavy rains here, that I would also place a small area of open screen in the intake tube area/cover in the wheel well. I will have to remember that if I ever on a trip where there is flooding.
just nosing around over here.
I would think you'ld be ok with the rains/flooding unless extreme. Any water that made it to the air would still need to be sucked UP through the filter. There's a small drain hole in the bottom of the box. That air box looks like it would hold about 1/2 gallon of water
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 22 Nov 2011, 08:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: How to: Air filter box modification

Several pretty heavy rains this Fall.
Plenty of local roadway flooding - no problem, so far!

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 15 Feb 2012, 07:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Eaglewarrior

Want better mileage/performance without K&N cost, so this sounds great. Does it increase induction sound? Not that woukld be a bad thing.
Old 15 Feb 2012, 08:55 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
How does this help? the air inlet on the fender is the size of the stock air inlet tube.
I'm guessing you've never seen the insides of the air filter box... There is a tube with a flared end inside the air inlet tube that reduces the inlet size by a fair amount.

The first thing that came to my mind when I first saw this posting was to wonder why the engineers at Chrysler designed it this way. I'm sure it costs way more to build and install than the simple tube that is the subject of this thread. If they had valid technical reasons, I'd like to know what they are.

Added note: The flared end tube inside the box does look like a musical horn, so maybe that's where the really nice sound comes from when I tromp the gas pedal on my turbo.

Last edited by reevescajr; 16 Feb 2012 at 10:12 am. Reason: Added a note
Old 06 Sep 2012, 08:28 pm
Young Cruiser

I know this thread is old, but I was just wondering if anyone else performed this mod since it was originally posted. What changes (positive or negative) did you notice. Just trying to find out if it is worth the time and effort.
Old 06 Sep 2012, 08:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There is a how on the tech forum page. Works better than the cold (hot) air intakes. It actually gets it's air outside of the engine department!
Badglas likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com