PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine light flashing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Oct 2010, 12:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Engine light flashing

Hi all,
Earlier today, my check engine light came on, and i unplugged the battery and reconnected it and it got rid of the light. I noticed that when I turn the key to on but don't start the car, and all the lights come on and it chimes 5 times. After the chimes, my engine light flashes 10 times and the goes back solid. What does this mean??? I'm kinda freaked out! Please let me know ASAP!!!

Thank you!
-Hayden
Old 09 Oct 2010, 03:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine light flashing

Hayden,

When the engine light is flashing you should NOT drive the car. The computer is telling you that there's something wrong that need immediate attention. Do you know how to get the fault code from the computer? Follow these instructions, then come back here with the numbers that show on the dial and someone here will explain what needs to be done.

How to retrieve fault codes.
Old 09 Oct 2010, 09:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Engine light flashing

Hey CREWZIN,
Thank you for the quick reply! The first thing I did when I saw that was the key trick for the fault codes. There were none, so I did some research last night online. I came across a jeep wrangler forum and some guy with a 07 wrangler had the same question I did, and it turns out to be if you disconnect your battery for 20 minutes, that resets the OBD II system, so when you turn the key to on, and all of the light do their tests, the engine light flashes because its saying that it is not ready for a emissions test, and if you take it in, there's a possibility it will fail. After a week of normal driving, the OBD system should recognize that everything is fine, and the light should stop flashing.

Thank you again,
-Hayden
Old 09 Oct 2010, 09:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine light flashing

Hope it's a easy as that. This is from PT Do-It-Yourself.net

A flashing MIL implies that a serious condition may exist. I would suggest that you have the vehicle checked by your dealer ASAP. They will utilize a DRB scan tool to diagnose the concern. I would not attempt to drive the vehicle for any other reason. If you don't have a dealer fairly close by call them first to determine if the PT should be towed or driven in.

Maybe yours, because it only flashes when you turn the engine on, is a different scenario and the problem is not as serious as the flashing MIL (Malfuction Indicator Light) in other cases.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 09 Oct 2010 at 09:12 am.

Tags
asap, engine light, flashing, warning light