PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

P0499 code on a '06PT Crusier 21k miles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Oct 2010, 03:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0499 code on a '06PT Crusier 21k miles

I just had a check engine light come on out of no where. It's P0499 - NVLD canister vent valve solenoid circuit high..

Local parts shops aren't helpful. Crysler said it was probably the NVLD switch went bad. Said it's under the body, drivers side between the front & back wheel.

I can't seem to find much other info...some things say it's in the gas tank, some say it's the EVAP solenoid (engine compartment, passenger side, bottom side)...lots of conflicting info.

I've had the code reset and it immediately comes back on the moment the ignition switch is rocked forward...so either it's bad or wire short???

The car runs, I'm not sure when the code started, I just noticed the light yesturday

Any help would be appreiciated!

Last edited by Oregon_PT06; 09 Oct 2010 at 03:55 pm.
Old 09 Oct 2010, 03:54 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: P0499 code on a '06PT Crusier 21k miles

The first thing I would do is check to make sure your gas cap is tight. After you have tightened the loose gas cap you will need to remove the neg. battery terminal for about 10 minutes. Don't let it touch any surrounding metal during the time it's off. Then drive the car for a short time to see if the cel comes back. If it does come back, head to your local Chrysler dealer. Go directly to the parts department. Buy the valve. The parts man will print out a line drawing for you off his computer that shows it's location. He will probably also be able to tell you if it's something you would be able to tackle or you need to have them do it AND WHY. The service manger may need to help with the WHY. I've never heard of one of these going bad so I can't give first hand experience on this repair. If I was in your place I would do the above steps.

Let us know what you find out.

Jerry
Old 09 Oct 2010, 04:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply wwptc!

I have tightened the gas cap, reset the code, cycled the ignition and the code is there immediately.

The NVLD switch Chrysler say's is "probably" the problem is $125 non-returnable so I was wanted to look around and ask some questions to make sure this was a good use of my money.

More ideas?
Old 09 Oct 2010, 04:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Have to agree with wwpptc it's probably the gas cap. Had a similiar code on my old Town & Country van recently and after researching the issue it led back to the gas cap. Put on a new cap and the light went out after a few driving cycles. Had the same problem on an 02 PT we lost to an accident this summer. In both cases the gas caps were over 7 years old. The codes are a little misleading but you can research them and eventually make sense of them. If I had changed what the code was pointing to on the van it would have been extremely expensive and hard to get at. A gas cap was a cheap fix.
Old 09 Oct 2010, 05:18 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Looks like, as I said before, If it was me I would go to the dealer and have them print out the line drawing location of the solinoid/valve. Then crawl under the car and check for any shorting/worn wires. Also check to make sure the wire connectors are pushed in tightly at both (gas tank and at the valve) ends of the wires.

Jerry
Old 09 Oct 2010, 06:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Merlin1

I just replaced the gas cap. Cleared the code. Cycled the ignition (without starting) to ensure the code was cleared. Started the car and the code came back almost immediately. I cleared it again, checked to make sure the code was cleared, started it and it came back.

Seems the gas cap isn't the problem. I will go back to the dealer to see if I can get the line drawing as wwpptc suggests.

Thanks for the ideas if anyone else has any in the mean time, I'm all ears.
Old 09 Oct 2010, 07:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, you asked me in a PM where the NVLD is. Here's what I found out:

Here's a picture with the NVLD and surrounding components on the gas tank.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 09 Oct 2010, 10:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Oregon don't give up just yet. The same thing happened with the Chrysler van. Replaced the cap still had a light. Unhooked the battery and cleared the code and still the light came back. Since it was in the evaporative system I wasn't worried it's more of a nusisance. I put a piece of black tape over the light because my wife wouldn't drive the van with a light showing. After about 3 weeks of normal driving the light went out and the code cleared. The manual will tell you it takes a fair number of driving cycles before a code clears. Just don't spend a lot of money until you are dead certain you have a legitimate problem.