Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
electric radiator fan upgrade.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Oct 2010, 10:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default electric radiator fan upgrade.

Has anyone done an upgrade or installed an aftermarket performance electric fan on their PT.

I'm looking to install a higher cfm fan and i was looking for ideas and also the electrical diagram for installation.

If you have any pictures feel free to email them to me.

I would also like to know if you did an upgrade on the electrical fan how has it worked out for you
Old 10 Oct 2010, 02:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: electric radiator fan upgrade.

The cfm on the original fan is perfect for the PT as it is. The only thing needed is better brushes for the motor. The OEM fan keeps the A/C and the coolant at a perfect temperature. It doesn't need to have a higher cfm.
Old 10 Oct 2010, 03:42 pm
Banned

Our PCM expects to see certain temps at certain times to keep a bunch of differant components operating in correct relationship with each other. Don't screw with it.

Jerry
Old 12 Oct 2010, 10:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
Our PCM expects to see certain temps at certain times to keep a bunch of differant components operating in correct relationship with each other. Don't screw with it.

Jerry
I actually screwed with it and i'm very happy with the results it is giving me. At stage one i'm pumping out 2500 cfm and at stage two i'm pumping out 4000 cfm's . The pcm turns on the new fan at the proper temp and if i turn on the ac the pcm turns the fan on to speed 2.

I had to change out the relays for low speed and high speed to higher amp relays with diodes and install additional fuses. I'm getting zero electrical surge back due to the diodes which is a very good thing and will protect my pcm from any surges.

The ac is pumping out ice cubes now, I also deliberately got stuck in traffic at the right time at midday for a good amount of time with the ac on and the temp gauge stayed just below the half point and never bunged from there. It was a wonderful feeling.

total cost was 135. I feel it was a great investment and peace of mind.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 10:30 pm
Banned

Congratulations, BUT it sounds like you may have changed the temp down maybe 10 degress because that position is about what mine runs at after I installed my 180 degree thermostat. I've had it in for years and I also can idle all day long and it will stay at that same temp. A/c also blew colder.

It cost me abiut $16.00 and about a half hour to install. I felt much better after geting it done. No other mods needed to make it work.

By the way, one other benefit of lowering the temp to 180 is I (we, if indeed yours is at 180) is that we have delayed the onset of spark knock that our knock sensors are there to pick up. We have lowered the temp in the block that surrounds the cylinders by that much. That's good because in the event our sensor picks up knock (say going up a hill) it adds fuel and retards the ignition. This results in poorer gas mieage for obvious reasons. If some of you have noticed that your gas mileage dropped a bunch when you switched to a "new" cheaper brand of gas its probably because you were getting spark knock and you didn't even notice it. That's becuse the sensor will pick up even the weakest knock that you wouldn't notice and add fuel and retard timing before it got bad enough for you to notice it. Both are terrible for gas mileage. If the knock was allowed to continue it would certainly damage the engine. This is one of the advantages of our modern PCM controlled engines. By the way, changeing the temp only 10 degress in no way changes the normal operating functions (closed or open loop tuning) that our computer needs to act correctly. That small amount in well within the computers normal operating range. It's also been said that it would decrease gas mileage but I haven't noticed any decrease in mine in all the years that I've ran it. As a matter of fact I got word back from one of my PT clients, a high school buddy from Indiana (hilly country), that his mileage went up after I put the 180 in. That's probably because of the dealyed onset of knock that I mentioned. He also said it seemed to go up the hills easier. The delayed knock didn't trigger ignition retard. I have put the 180 in all of the PTs that I service with no complaints.

Also, going much lower than 180 will certainly put you into a range that the PCM will not like AT ALL. As I said before the PCM has an acceptable range and if you go beyond it will let you know quickly.

Jerry
Old 13 Oct 2010, 10:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

How funny, my fan wasn't working at all last spring, and the temp. gauge never rose above the "almost halfway mark"--which is exactly where the previous posters here have attained by being creative. Yet, if no one ever tried out new ideas, we'd all still be driving Fred Flintstone buggys (and that's hard on the pinkys when it's time to put on the brakes--although the gas mileage is a plus, for sure).

Of course, my A/C didn't work properly at idle, and once I realized that it was because my fan was busted--I immediately got a new fan (which I would have done earlier if my temp needle ever went above its normal "almost halfway mark", anyway).

I agree with Cruizen: the OEM fan does what it's supposed to do. It doesn't need improvement. Well, except for its lack of longevity, that is.

Hopefully, my new fan has improved brushes, compared to Chrysler's original timebombs ....

Tim