PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Weak Acceleration after Plug Change

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Oct 2010, 02:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Weak Acceleration after Plug Change

Hello,

I just changed the plugs and wires and ran some throttle body cleaner through the engine. Took the PT for at test drive and experienced poor acceleration when I stepped on the pedal. Engine revs up to 3 to 4000rpm, but has some trouble getting up to speed. Seems to shift at higher rpms. Strains to accelerate up hills. Drove it 30 km or 20 miles and saw a significant drop in the fuel level = bad fuel economy.

I seem to get up to speed better when pressing the pedal lightly.

Need some opinions on what is wrong or what has changed?

No Check Engine light comes on.

Car is a 2005 PT non-turbo, 100K km or 60K miles. Swapped OEM plugs/wires for NGK platium gapped to 0.040" and aftermarket wires. No fouling on plugs.

Tried swapping the new wires for the old wires and double checked the plugs. Everything looked OK and no change in (poor) operation.

Could it have something to do with the throttle body cleaner wrecking a sensor or something? MAP sensor, throttle position sensor, someother sensor?

Please help! I'll continue to drive around town and will see what happens....
Old 25 Oct 2010, 09:20 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to IMIEIW
Default Re: Weak Acceleration after Plug Change

Hello, Just changed my plugs and wires too. I don't have a problem, runs better then ever, so what did you do? What did you gap the plugs at. Almost everyone suggests .040 which is what I did. What plugs did you use? I used the Iridium's but again almost everyone says that the stock copper ones work very well. I hope you didn't use stock wires. Read the forums, they are crap. Are you sure the wires seated properly? Did you use a dielectric on the wires? Check to see if you replaced the hoses etc that you removed to get access to the plugs. Good luck.