PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cable from front of Brake Caliper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Oct 2010, 02:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Coop
Default Cable from front of Brake Caliper

So I put on some new wheels the other day and noticed that there is a broken wire hanging from the inner part of the wheel well that looks like it is attached or runs into the motor bay. I looked around to where it was connected and there is a mount on the front of the caliper.

I first thought it was a ground, but now I am thinking maybe a wire to hold the caliper up when the brakes are getting worked on....

Any one know the mystery wire I am talking about???

Thanks!!!
Old 12 Oct 2010, 02:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Cable from front of Brake Caliper

Its a ground wire. Make sure to keep it connected. Could lose your wheel bearings. Its just attached to the underside of the fender, just to make contact.
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 02:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezinghot View Post
Its a ground wire. Make sure to keep it connected. Could lose your wheel bearings. Its just attached to the underside of the fender, just to make contact.
Crap... Was hoping it wasn't. I just got the car and noticed it was snapped. Would you happen to know the part code???

Also, is losing a wheel bearing common on the 01's?
Old 12 Oct 2010, 02:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Crap... Was hoping it wasn't. I just got the car and noticed it was snapped. Would you happen to know the part code???

Also, is losing a wheel bearing common on the 01's?
I wouldnt say that its common, but it does happen. Heres something to read from a previous post by CREWZIN:
The use of braided ground straps in key locations is part of the RFI and EMI prevention strategy on the PT. These ground straps ensure adequate ground paths, particularly for high current components such as many of those found in the starting, charging, ignition, engine control and transmission control systems. One end of the engine ground strap is bolted to the engine cylinder head. The other end attaches to a bolt on the top of the strut tower. As a precaution disconnect the negative lead on the battery before re-connecting the ground strap.
Make sure that your front strut ground straps are intact as these commonly rot off and can cause repeat failures. The factory was seeing some early bearing failures even though the lube in the bearing was still good. On close examination you could see pitting, actual arc marks, on the balls and races making them noisy. The current from road static charges and possibly poor engine to body grounds was passing through the bearing itself, greatly reducing its life. By adding ground straps and keeping everything at the same voltage potential solved the problem.
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 03:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

I wonder how long they have been sliced....
So just call the dealer and tell them I need ground straps for the wheel wells/brake calipers and they will know what I need?

I really appreciate your help with this!!!
Old 12 Oct 2010, 04:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You can actually do it yourself no problem. It just needs to be attached so a current can pass.
Heres a pic of CREWZINS that he posted before

All it does it make it so that high currents dont damage anything. It passes it right to the ground. You can really attach it to anything metal thats connected to the tire.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 04:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

I was thinking I could just use new wire, but the connector on the caliper looks really corroded from Salt

I called the dealership and he said I was the first person that has called about those gorunds on a PT
Old 12 Oct 2010, 06:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

A lot of people just don't know about it
Old 13 Oct 2010, 08:30 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the picture above. I am going to send it to the dealership to get it ordered up. The one connection is a nasty green and flaking apart. The previous owner didn't really like to wash his car....
Old 13 Oct 2010, 04:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You honestly only need to like, somehow secure the wire to the caliper. You dont need to get a new wire. As long as a current can pass, its ok.