Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gasket leak below Radiator Cap on '01 Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Oct 2010, 08:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Gasket leak below Radiator Cap on '01 Cruiser

My '01 PT (112,000) began to overheat on the way home from work yesterday. When I got home and popped the hood, I could see some leakage around the lower part of the radiator cap neck, next to the bleed valve where the neck is bolted to some other part (water pump? block?).
Is that an easy fix, or just the first sign of a bigger problem?

As always, thanks for all the great advice I have received here on the Forum!
Old 14 Oct 2010, 08:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Gasket leak below Radiator Cap on '01 Cruiser

Your problem, if I understand what your saying, might just be the radiator cap. Coolant leaking down from the cap to the area below. If not, it might be the gasket from the thermostat. Either one is not expensive unless you can't do it yourself (on the thermostat) because of the time involved in taking off the upper manifold. If you pay a dealer, they'll probably charge about 2 hours labor time. Mine gets $90 an hour.

Old 14 Oct 2010, 10:28 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Your problem, if I understand what your saying, might just be the radiator cap. Coolant leaking down from the cap to the area below. If not, it might be the gasket from the thermostat. Either one is not expensive unless you can't do it yourself (on the thermostat) because of the time involved in taking off the upper manifold. If you pay a dealer, they'll probably charge about 2 hours labor time. Mine gets $90 an hour.

Awesome post man!!! I was just looking for a picture on here of where the thermostat is on these cars!!!
Old 14 Oct 2010, 10:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Awesome post man!!! I was just looking for a picture on here of where the thermostat is on these cars!!!
All ya gotta do is ask, but searching doesn't hurt either.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 10:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin, you are the best! I always appreciate your prompt and straight-forward responses. And ditto to what Coop says, the illustrations you provide are extremely helpful!

I will check/replace my cap, but I have a feeling that the leak is right there at the thermostat and neck come together (3 meets 4). Might as well replace the thermostat as well while I'm in there.

Having recently replaced my plugs (Bosch Platinums - HUGE improvement!!) and wires, I'm familiar with removing the upper manifold, so I will give it a shot.

Thanks again for all your help - I will let you know how it turns out!
Old 14 Oct 2010, 11:02 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWoody View Post
Crewzin, you are the best! I always appreciate your prompt and straight-forward responses. And ditto to what Coop says, the illustrations you provide are extremely helpful!
+1!!!!
Old 14 Oct 2010, 11:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Your welcome. The pictures are from the Haynes or Chilton manuals and I have a collection of them in part of Photobucket album. It's always easier to show a picture with explanation if possible when I'm trying to help out.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 11:49 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Your welcome. The pictures are from the Haynes or Chilton manuals and I have a collection of them in part of Photobucket album. It's always easier to show a picture with explanation if possible when I'm trying to help out.
I think I need a manual with this car. The previous owner didn't do any of the maintence since he thought the car was low mileage.

I need to do a coolant drain and fill, thermostat and gasket for the cooling system. I need to change the fuel filter (where is it located on the car??? Another question for you Crewzin!!!), then I need to look at the suspension to see what kind of shape that is in....
Old 14 Oct 2010, 12:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The fuel filter is with the fuel pump at the bottom of the gas tank. Those of us that have over 100,000 miles have never changed it. Cross that off your list.

Old 14 Oct 2010, 12:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Checked off list!

My last car was an external which the manufacturer recommended every 15,000 miles to change out