Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Mass Air Flow Sensor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Oct 2010, 04:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Mass Air Flow Sensor

Hello all,

I am new to the forums and have a question or a dozen questions, but I will start with this one first.

Where is the MAF sensor on a 2003 PT.

I am getting codes P0171 (which does not seem to have any specific root cause) and P0522 (oil pressure sensor)

I cannot find where the MAF sensor is on my car. I cannot find pictures of it, and none of the parts stores seem to carry the part for the PT. Is there one? I read that a dirty sensor can cause starting and running problems, and I got both.

Car is an automatic with no after market anythings. 105,000 miles.
Intermittently the vehicle will either start right up, sound like it wants to start, but wont on the first try (second try starts right up, and runs fine), or it will take 7-8 or more tries to get the engine to come to life.

CEL comes on at random, does not affect the quality of the idle or the drive.
Oil light comes on at random then goes off a couple of minutes later.

When I am at a red light/ stop for any reason, can put foot to floor and car does not go, then kicks in causing me to peel out. This usually only happens when the AC is on, but has been happening even without the AC lately.

Any help recommendations would be helpful

thank you.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 05:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Mass Air Flow Sensor

P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1
P0522 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Low Voltage
The mass airflow sensor should be on your air tube thats connected to your throttle body. Its going to go into the tube itself
It often just gets dirty, so try cleaning it before actually buying a new one
Are you leaking any oil?
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.

Last edited by Freezinghot; 15 Oct 2010 at 05:26 pm.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 05:32 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Wrong, the MAF mass airflow sensor is at the top of your intake manifold back just across from the radiator overflow bottle. It has wires running from it to the PCM. It has a plug-in connector. The sensor that you described is the AIT. "Air Intake Temperature" and pushes into the FTTB "Filter To Throttle Body" pipe.

Jerry
Old 15 Oct 2010, 05:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
Wrong, the MAF mass airflow sensor is at the top of your intake manifold back just across from the radiator overflow bottle. It has wires running from it to the PCM. It has a plug-in connector. The sensor that you described is the AIT. "Air Intake Temperature" and pushes into the FTTB "Filter To Throttle Body" pipe.

Jerry
I was under the impression that that was the MAP sensor. Never had to replace it, so i guess i cant be sure.
Sensors are always a pain, ill take my old cars any day!
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 05:53 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

It depends on who you're talking to and how your particular engine is fed. If it's a turbo then it's commonly referred to as a MAP because it's measureing the "Pressure" that is created by your turbo in the manifold, thus MA"P". On the N/As its called an MAF because its measureing the air "Flow" through the intake, thus MA"F". It gets even more confusing when you try to find it in the Haynes manual because it calls it both names in the same paragraph ( section 6-8, left hand column, topic #9, steps 2 and 3) it goes by both names in the same paragrah. Maybe they were just covering all their bases?

Jerry
Old 20 Oct 2010, 01:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezinghot View Post
P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1
P0522 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Low Voltage
The mass airflow sensor should be on your air tube thats connected to your throttle body. Its going to go into the tube itself
It often just gets dirty, so try cleaning it before actually buying a new one
Are you leaking any oil?
I seem to leave little spots occasionally... they appear to b from the rear of the engine, but having dealt with leaks before, I know that where the spot is may have nothing to do with the leak site.
Old 08 Dec 2010, 01:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

i have damage mass airflow sensor before...
it sends wrong input signal to the electric control unit which wrongly activates other components.

these sensors are extremely sensitive replacement parts.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 08 Dec 2010 at 04:49 am.