Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 PT with Non Turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2010, 06:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2004 PT with Non Turbo

2004 PT Cruiser...non turbo 2.4L.....while driving in stop and go traffic, check engine light came on engine stumbled and then shut off. Tried cranking and nothing happen. I have electrical source, but no cranking. All interior/exterior lights, radio, windows work. I tried cycling the ignition switch to pull engine codes...no engine codes. Does this sound like my computer is fried?
Old 17 Oct 2010, 08:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 PT with Non Turbo

It could be but probably not. Have you ever pulled the codes before? Most owners do it wrong. Even if there's no codes, you should still get "done" when you do it right.

Follow the instructions and make sure you turn the key 3 times within 5 seconds.

How to retrieve fault codes.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Oct 2010, 10:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500, 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee, & the 04 PT Cruiser....I know how to pull codes off the odometer cycling the ignition switch 3 times.

I did that and it would not pull the codes....it wouldn't even state "done".

I do have it in the shop. The mechanic told me they were not reading 5Volts anywhere it is suppose to be. The last thing they are going to do is check the volt output on the computer.

That will be tomorrow. If it is the computer, I am trying to see what my set back cost is going to be.

I do have 135,000 miles on the PT, and the Timing belt was replaced @ 95,000.
Old 17 Oct 2010, 10:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You knew all that already before coming to the forum and you want us to guess if your computer is fried? Don't you think telling us what you already knew and what the mechanic told you would have helped someone here take a better guess at your answer.

"Hey Doc, my back hurts." (don't tell him you fell down the stairs, let him find out for himself). So if just gives you a couple aspirin and you feel worse the next day, you can sue him for a wrongful diagnosis.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Oct 2010, 11:03 am
Banned

a1500ram, to answer your first question---yes---. I say that because when you do the key dance it will ALWAYS show either the problem codes or the word DONE. No ifs ands or buts, this will always happen. Since its the PCM that supplies these reactions to the dance, that would tell me that the PCM is the problem. Crewzin ask (in a very polite manner) if you were doing the key dance correctly because we have had some people that think they are supposed to hold in the trip odometer while doing this dance even though it mentions nothing about that in this sites online instructions. All that will get you is an instrutment check, not the trouble codes. Since you SO EMPHATICALLY SAID that you know how to correctly pull the codes we can rule that out.

Jerry
Old 17 Oct 2010, 11:21 am
Banned

Also I completely agree with Crewzin's second post, It would just "keen" if people would supply us with all of the info they have up front. By the way, if it turns out to be something other than the computer, then you didn't do the key dance correctly, because as I said, it will always give you the codes or "done".

Jerry
Old 17 Oct 2010, 12:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I intentionally didn't state in my first post that I already have my car at the mechanic and what he told me. I was looking for second opinions before I authorize any repairs.

{You knew all that already before coming to the forum and you want us to guess if your computer is fried? Don't you think telling us what you already knew and what the mechanic told you would have helped someone here take a better guess at your answer.}

"I was hoping someone with knowledge of this (happened to them also) would intervene...not just some guess"

Crewzin...."your soundin like one of those hardnose Floridian Democrats"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

wwpptc.....Since I have been schooled on cycling the ignition switch "dance" on this forum, I am sure I did it right....or the instructions are wrong.

I believe likewise that my computer is toast.

Ya'll need to lay off that NOS a little....it's making me wanna laugh also.
Old 17 Oct 2010, 01:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1500ram View Post

Crewzin...."your soundin like one of those hardnose Floridian Democrats"

That reminds me. Early voting starts tomorrow. Gotta get out there and vote all those incumbents out of office. Don't matter if they're Elephants or Asses, they all gotta go.

Old 17 Oct 2010, 01:56 pm
Banned

Wait, your here asking for OUR HELP but you intentionally withheld information that you KNEW would help us narrow down the possabilities as to what is wrong with your PT??? You really believe that buy any stretch of the imagination that makes sense!

Crewzin, I don't know about you , but I'm done here.

Jerry
Old 17 Oct 2010, 02:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

a1500ram,

Yea, that's enough from me too. Not too many forum members here on a Sunday but maybe someone will see this thread later and with all the information you finally revealed they can give you the confirmation of a fried computer that your looking for.