PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Many questions,looking for proper process

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Oct 2010, 11:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Many questions,looking for proper process

Hi All,

I have been a member for awhile, and always look forward to whats next. I do have some questions about procedure and feel that I am out of "sync" some times. I want to know about performance enhancements that are available for my car ( 2003 gt ), I have installed an A.F.E. cold air intake, E 3 plugs, Accel coil, and performance plug wires, ( I forget the brand ), but I also have a nagging engine light (mis-fire on no.4 plug), that I have checked with a obd II sensor and after replacing the above mentioned parts, have treated it with several doses of sea-foam. My car has never run better under acceleration but still has an idle that makes the engine shake and continues to display the engine light. Once under acceleration, it has never run better, although it was run for 2-3k mi.s with a failing coil, and plugs that not only were fouled, but had a insulator that had collapsed and obviously was not firing correctly. I know, I know, I should take it to some shop, but as you might notice, I do a lot of work on the car myself, and also am on a limited income. I am hoping someone has gone through something similar, or can just point me in the right direction, at this point I'm wondering if running the car with a weak coil, and a defective splug, might have burned a valve? or coated the valves, seats, or injectors with so much junk, it's just impossible to burn off, even with repeated applications of seafoam. Any ideas??
Old 20 Oct 2010, 05:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Many questions,looking for proper process

Spray some WD-40 along the intake manifold joints - particularly around Cyl # 4 when it's idling - if the idle smooths out, it's the intake gasket.
If you've been here for a while, then you must have read that the stock coil is better than most aftermarket coils, and stock ignition wires, on the other hand, are about the worst out there...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Oct 2010, 09:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Tjturbo, I had a very similar problem with a recently purchased 2001. There were 2 issues...the ECM was sending an intermittant signal to the #4 injector. Sometimes the ECM told it to spray and sometimes it didn't. It took me 2 days to figure it out. Also, look at the EGR valve to see if the diaphram has a leak. The computer didn't give me an error code about the EGR but the car still idled a little rough.
To check the injector, while the car is running put a long screw driver against the injector. Put your ear against the handle of the screw driver and listen to see if you hear a steady "click" coming from the injector.
I bought the 2001 PT really cheap, but if I had it to do over again I would buy a newer PT...this car had alot of stuff broke/not working correctly and I've put way too much money into it to get it up to snuff.
Old 20 Oct 2010, 03:40 pm
Banned

I agree with QSD about the intake manifold gasket being the problem. Its the gasket between the block and your aluminum intake manifold. Replace it.

I disagree with QSD about the coil but he and I have been down this road before, so I won't go there again.

"mash", the 2002's were the last PTs to have an EGR system on their engines, so his 2003 wouldn't have one.

Jerry
Old 20 Oct 2010, 10:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Get rid of the E 3 plugs and put champions back in