Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Poor mpg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2010, 01:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Poor mpg

Greetings All. Just joined , this is my first post. I previously owned a 2005 cruiser with a manual transmission. I got 28 mpg. I just traded it it on a new 2010 with a auto in it. My mileage is 20 mpg. My 2005 got 28 mpg.. I feel a 5 year old newer vehicle should get better mileage than the old one. I like the car but the mileage Sucks.At the present time I would not recommend one to anyone.My driving habits are the same. Whats going on? I have 1050 miles on the car at this time. What can I do do to improve engine performance and boost the mpg?
Old 22 Oct 2010, 02:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Poor mpg

On my 2006 and now the 2008 it took about 2500-3000 miles before I was getting what I thought was decent mileage. I had already replaced the stock wires & plugs with MOPAR or Crane wires and Champion or Autolite and added a Airaid air intake.

You have a auto tranny and 20 -25 is all you should get. I have been tracking my mileage using FUELLY.com and this is actual mileage. I didn't know about Fuelly until I had a few miles on it.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 22 Oct 2010, 02:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspenMeadowRanch View Post
Greetings All. Just joined , this is my first post. I previously owned a 2005 cruiser with a manual transmission. I got 28 mpg. I just traded it it on a new 2010 with a auto in it. My mileage is 20 mpg. My 2005 got 28 mpg.. I feel a 5 year old newer vehicle should get better mileage than the old one. I like the car but the mileage Sucks.At the present time I would not recommend one to anyone.My driving habits are the same. Whats going on? I have 1050 miles on the car at this time. What can I do do to improve engine performance and boost the mpg?

Push a Heavy Brick down the highway---that is how the PT is made it is NOT a MPG car never has been about MPG's
It is about a Super Cool looking car that is fun to drive
now in Europe where it is a Desiel with a 6 speed it will get them lucky folks 45-50mpg btu that is nto us 20-24 is as good as it will get

SO if you are looking for 25-30 you may as well trade it now cause its nto going to happen Sorry btu that is just how it is
Old 22 Oct 2010, 03:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did not mean that last post to sound snotty sorry if i did

I love my PT and i agree with you and can not understand why my Chevy extended cab with a 8 foot bed can get the same mpg's as my little underpowered PT but maybe the UNDERPOWERED is the key it takes a lot to push that car donw the highway higher RPM"S means less MPG's
Old 22 Oct 2010, 04:47 pm
Banned

Just a couple quick points.

As was said, your engine isn't broken in yet. the mileage will get better as you put on the next couple thousand miles.

An automatic will not get as many mpg as a stick shift.

Your highway "sweetspot" will in all likelyhood be a little slower than with your stick. Not much, just a little.

And lastly, you said you bought the car new, so it would have at least had a window sticker. It would have stated the EPA rated mpg. Every one I've ever seen was 19 or 20 in town and around 24 highway.I don't understand why you would be surprised by the mileage.

Jerry
Old 22 Oct 2010, 06:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

For what it's worth 28MPG in a PT cruiser sounds exceptional. My 5spd only gets 28 if I run a whole tank at 40-50 mph (when the freeway was under construction).
I have noticed 2-3 MPG less in the winter as well as when I got lazy and let my tire pressure get a little low. Heck, they looked full enough.
Old 22 Oct 2010, 06:58 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I also have a 2010 with 1700 miles on it.I have gotten as low as 22.4 and as high as 27.6 under the same driving conditions.I dont understand how a Scion TC,which is more like a brick with a much smaller(1.5) and more underpowered motor can get up to 34 mpg but we are lucky to get 27.But I can deal with the gas mileage because the cars are so cool.
Old 22 Oct 2010, 07:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBluePT View Post
I also have a 2010 with 1700 miles on it.I have gotten as low as 22.4 and as high as 27.6 under the same driving conditions.I dont understand how a Scion TC,which is more like a brick with a much smaller(1.5) and more underpowered motor can get up to 34 mpg but we are lucky to get 27.But I can deal with the gas mileage because the cars are so cool.
Please do not use the readout to plot your mileage, use pencil & paper or fuelly.com to plot it. Around town my readout reads anywhere from 19.5 to 20.7 and when we use fuelly.com it usually comes out higher.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 22 Oct 2010, 07:26 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I never use the readout.I only use pencil and paper to calculate my mileage.
Old 22 Oct 2010, 08:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

The MPG rating on the sticker is and always has been a lie. I think they tested the vehicles on a level surface, using moon rocket fuel, and did a steady 45 miles per hour in order to achieve the results they publish on the car stickers.

This last was not exactly serious in its entirety; still, I don't think they use the A/C when they run their tests. Most people in the summer, do. And they do NOT go freeway speeds.

I just got a Ford Ranger last Dec., and the manual said my gas mileage would increase after a few thousand miles. I drive the truck, pretty much like my grandmother would: no fast acceleration, no speeding on the freeway (in fact, when I have an early shift, and am on the freeway in the wee hours, I actually only go about 60 mph, tops).

Anway, I got 15.5 miles to begin with. Now, after 3800 miles (I don't drive it much since I have a PT with flames and all), I have achieved an amazing 15.90 MPG. Now the sticker said I'd get from 17 to 23 MPG. Of course, I have no access to kryptonite, or whatever alien fuel these guys were using to test the truck's mileage with; so I have to live with the lie. The only good thing is this: I have friends that have 250,000 plus miles on their Rangers, with few mechanical problems. Plus, the truck is a very pretty metallic burgandy color that still shines a lot. And if I want to haul stray pigs, I can do so without having to detail, afterwards ....

By the way, the only time I got good gas mileage (24mpg) from my 2003 PT automatic was when I drove it from Redding, CA to Yuba City, CA in the winter--using no A/C, of course (I believe there was also a 340 mph tailwind at my back, that day, as I have not been able to duplicate that mileage, since.).

To be serious, the PT is not a commute car. It's a feel-good car. If you want good gas mileage, you need to check out a Ford Fiesta, Honda Civic, whatever. But the PT not only reminds us of bygone days--it also gets the same gas mileage ....

Tim