Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 O2 Sensor Socket Size?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Oct 2010, 09:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default 2006 O2 Sensor Socket Size?

Does anyone know the size of the socket to remove and re-install the O2 sensor in the catalytic converter?

Seeing as I have to buy a special socket I'd like to buy just the one and not a set.

I was changing the oil and took a peek, it's bigger then my biggest open ended wrench which is a 20mm.

I attached a pic if anyone is curious what it looks like and where it's located on the catalytic converter.

Not to hard to get to, but this thing is really exposed to all the weather on the road.

Thanks for any help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg O2-1.jpg (77.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg O2-2.jpg (93.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 25 Oct 2010, 09:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 O2 Sensor Socket Size?

Ummm, seems like if you brought the replacement sensor, took it to where you buy your tools you'd be able to match up the tool to the replacement sensor!
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 25 Oct 2010, 09:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyerrol View Post
Ummm, seems like if you brought the replacement sensor, took it to where you buy your tools you'd be able to match up the tool to the replacement sensor!
Seem like a reasonable idea...

I just want to make sure I can get the old sensor out before I buy a new one.
The stealership gets very picky about returning such things.

If for some reason, what appears to be a simple task, becomes problematic I can always return the socket and take the PT in to my trusted mechanic.

Old 26 Oct 2010, 08:29 am
Banned

Get the sensor from the dealer and then get a "loaner" tool from autozone or pepboys, etc. Then if you can't get the sensor out with the loaner tool you can take the car to the dealer or your favorite mechanic and have them install it. Either way you won't be returning the sensor.

Jerry
Old 26 Oct 2010, 09:00 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
Get the sensor from the dealer and then get a "loaner" tool from autozone or pepboys, etc. Then if you can't get the sensor out with the loaner tool you can take the car to the dealer or your favorite mechanic and have them install it. Either way you won't be returning the sensor.

Jerry
Where I live there are no Pepboys or Autozone and no such thing as a loaner tool, a paid for rental maybe, a free loan no.
Further, once I get the sensor out I sure as heck can put it back in myself

I was hoping this forum would help save me a little time, instead of having to run around buying and returning things.
I didn't think this would be such a difficult question to get an answer to.

No one out there has the specs for the PT?

Cheers
Old 26 Oct 2010, 09:30 am
Regular Cruiser

I replaced one of mine a couple of months ago. Buy (or rent) an oxygen sensor wrench. It will have room for the wires coming off of the sensor. Auto Zone and Advanced Auto offer free rentals now, and the wrench/adapter shouldn't cost more than $10 or so.

Paul
Old 26 Oct 2010, 09:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It's not the specs your looking for. I have plenty of them, but they don't tell you which socket or wrench size to use. I usually answer a lot of questions on this forum because I'm around a lot and check the forums all the time. To check the socket size would mean jacking up the car and crawling underneath and I just did that a couple days ago changing the oil. Not doing that again. I did reach down and try the upstream 02 sensor but at that angle I can't quite get the open end wrench around the nut. It looks to be about a 19mm size that is needed.

Anyone that would work on a car would surely have a set of wrenches to include one that would fit that size. Most of us tackle each job with a set of open end/box type wrenches and a good set of deep wells unless you happen to know the exact size nuts and bolts you'll run into doing the job at hand.

You can see from the pictures you posted that a special wrench to go on the bolt and leave room for the wires isn't needed. Just an open end wrench would do the job. The upstream sensor might be a different story because of the heat shield around the exhaust manifold. That might require a deep well.

By the way, sometimes the 02 sensor is almost welded on to the CAT or wherever it's attached to. The two different metals rust together and make it very difficult to take the sensor off. Here's something to read if you get into trouble getting the sensor off.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5380534_ways...en-sensor.html

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Oct 2010 at 09:42 am.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 02:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Most o2 sensors are 22mm. I've used the same stubby 22mm wrench for every o2 sensor job I've done so far on at least half a dozen different vehicles.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 03:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks CREWZIN, heifetz17 and paulrosenthal for the replies
Old 18 Nov 2010, 03:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyerrol View Post
Ummm, seems like if you brought the replacement oxygen sensor, took it to where you buy your tools you'd be able to match up the tool to the replacement sensor!
Same suggestion here. Just return the oxygen sensor to the shop where you bought it! Hahaha

Last edited by bpeterson; 22 Nov 2010 at 06:33 am.