Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Newbie Question about overheating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Oct 2010, 06:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Newbie Question about overheating

Yesterday my wife was taking two of her friends to do pick up there truck which was about 65 miles away. She called me and said that her car was overheating and she was 44 miles out side of our town. I told her to say there and do not drive it anymore. Her friends told her to drive it anyway it will be ok. I am glad she called me, I was really upset when she told me that, but thats another story. I was finally able to lokk at it today. I think it might be the water pump but not sure. There is a slight whinning noise that I never really noticed before. I called around to get some prices and they range from 500-1000. I did some research on the forum before posting and it seems that it also could be a number of other things. At first I changed the thermostate just to rule it out, and thought I found the problem because it ran in the driveway for about 20 min without passing the halfway mark with the A/C on. Then I drove it down the street and it started towards the red. I tried to check the fan but not sure when it suppose to come on. It runs with the A/C on but does not come on that I can notice any other time. I read on here that there is a low speed and high speed, and that when the car is first started the fan should cycle. Mine does nothing. I was going to put 12v straight to the fan but it started rainning now I am stuck inside. Just wondering when should the low speed come on? Someone told me it will only come on if the car was moving. I have never heard of that before. I am just trying to get pointed in the right direction. I have worked on mostly chevy's, and never on a front wheel drive car. I will be greatful for any advice to put me on the right path. Thanks in advance guys. It is a 2001 with 90,000 miles

Last edited by tbcrusier; 26 Oct 2010 at 07:00 pm.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 07:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Newbie Question about overheating

Hi. Your fan is a two (2) speed fan. There is a relay for the low speed and a relay for the high speed. You can test your fan, disconnect the the fan, you have 3 wires on that connector the black is ground. Ground the black wire with a jumper lead. then power the other lead and the fan should turn on then go ahead and disconnect and power the other lead, the fan should turn on. You will notice the difference in which one is high speed and which one is low speed.
If the low speed did not turn on then you have a problem with the fan.
If both leads powered up then you need to check the relays located in the engine fuse box, your low speed relay might be out and not powering the fan.

If both relays are in good condition then you need to check you thermo sensor which is located on the bottom of your filler neck were you add coolant. Not the reservior. But the radiator filler neck attached to the engine were the upper hose attaches to.

The low speed part of the fan should turn on at about 185F, when you turn on the ac it activates the high speed part of the fan.

You should before anything check your fuse. The low speed fuse is located in the fuse box underneath your dash and it is a 10 amp fuse. The fuse for your high speed is a 40 amp fuse and is located in the engine compartment fuse box.

Looks like your high speed is working fine since it turns on when your ac is switched on so narrow all the stuff that is suppose to activate your low speed side of the fan. Those are the 10 amp fuse the low speed relay the thermo sensor and or the fans low speed is bad.

Good luck
Old 26 Oct 2010, 08:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

At 90,000 you are about ready for your timing belt change. Sorry!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 27 Oct 2010, 07:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forums.
Sounds like low speed on fan - which is a separate winding in the fan motor - if relays, etc. check, then you need a new fan.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Oct 2010, 08:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys, I will try to test the fan if it ever stops raining.
Old 27 Oct 2010, 02:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok tested the fan, it works. Both low and high speed. I let it run for a while and the fan does turn off and on. Now the engine light is on. Let it run for about 30 min and it did not go pass the middle mark. I found the bleed out srcew by the temp sensor. How do you bleed the system? Do you do it with the car running or after you turn it off? Also do I need a code reader to pull the code or is it another way. I can see now that this overheating thing is going to drive me crazy.
Old 27 Oct 2010, 02:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

To read the code just put your key into the ignition and then with in 5 seconds move the the key to the stop and run three times with in that 5 second range then a P code should pop up were you would usually see your odometer reading. DO NOT START THE CAR just the stop and run sections 3 times NOT THE START.

As for bleeding the coolant you can put a small hose on the bleeder screw that lead down to a bucket turn on the car let it run to normal operating temp then open the bleeder screw very slowly until coolant starts coming out of that small hose then shut it.
I use the hose so it won't squirt every where.

Good Luck
Old 27 Oct 2010, 03:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just pulled the codes 1490 and 1684. 1490 is not on the error code list but 1684 is. It states Driver 5 Line 4. What is that suppose to mean? Just found the code 1490. 1490 Low speed radiator fan control circuit problem. Does that mean relay could be bad or is there anything else it the circuit to make it read that error could. Also how do I clear the codes?

Last edited by tbcrusier; 27 Oct 2010 at 03:11 pm.
Old 27 Oct 2010, 03:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

P1684 Metering Oil Pump Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

usually your oil sensor
Old 27 Oct 2010, 03:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yeah your low speed fan relay that is located in the engine compartment fuse box. I would change it if I was you it is cheap it could be working intermittently and that's why it popped a code I wouldn't take the chance since it's only a couple of bucks