PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
code 340 no start with spark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Nov 2010, 08:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default code 340 no start with spark

Hi all,
My Pt is a non-turbo 2004 Silver with 73000 miles and live in Fl. I have a code p0340 I have changed the camshaft sensor still no start then changed crankshaft sensor but still no start. Checked voltage on both sensors get 5 volts spark is orange to blue and with battery fully charged it cranks a little bit slow. I'm thinking pcm but would like a little more input before that expense.Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03 Nov 2010, 09:12 pm
Banned

Default Re: code 340 no start with spark

A couple questions. Did you use Chrysler sensors? Our PTs don't like aftermarket sensors. Have you checked and cleaned ALL of your electrical grounds? That alone will contribute to slow cranking. Try removing and then reinserting the ASD in the bottom left corner of your PDC. Make sure you remove the neg. battery cable before doing this. The MAP/MAF will sometimes cause a "no start" issue. If replacing it doen't solve your problem then I would take it to your closest dealer and have them run a diagnostic before replacing the PCM. The PCM should be a last resort.

Jerry
Old 04 Nov 2010, 01:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, yes aftermarket didn't check all grounds.sorry don't know all terminalogy so please give insight to asd and pdc. Thank you again
Old 04 Nov 2010, 01:17 pm
Banned

The ASD is the Auto Shutdown relay and the PDC is the Power Distribution Center that is located under and a couple inchs out from the brake master cylinder. It's the engine compartment fuse box.

Jerry
Old 04 Nov 2010, 01:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the Forum.

rstanch, where are you located? If you fill out your Profile and give us a idea where you live, someone may be in your area.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 04 Nov 2010, 01:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Two things about getting the P0340 code fault. it could mean the wiring harness for the Camshaft sensor has come in contact with something that will damage the harness or, and I know you only have 73K, the timing belt could have broke.

When the belt breaks, both the Camshaft and Crankshaft sensors both stop working and either one or both sets the fault code telling the computer that the Crank and Cam aren't moving anymore because the timing belt broke.

So, you need to chaeck the harness of the Camshaft sensor and also check to see if your timing belt is turning.
Old 04 Nov 2010, 02:16 pm
Banned

you said you checked for proper voltages, so that would rule out a bare or shorted wire. Did you happen to check to see if the rear of the camshaft was actually turning before you put the new sensor in place? If it's turning then your belt is in tact.

Jerry
Old 04 Nov 2010, 09:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys ,didn't get or think about checking camshaft movement before replacing sensor. I will check belt in the morning, then I'll check the asd and pdc.I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you very much for the help.
Old 06 Nov 2010, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey guys, removed the camshaft sensor and camshaft not moving. I looked into fuse block the ignition run fuse wasn't blown but plastic top was broken. I replaced it with another still not starting.Don't know what type o engine inter or non if someone know please let me know. Thank you as always you've been helpful to me.
Old 06 Nov 2010, 02:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not sure of your question the way you said it but if you mean does the cruiser have an interference or non-interference motor, the answer is non-interference which in your case the valves can't hit the piston tops BUT the valves can hit each other especially you happen to be at high speed when the belt broke.