Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
IGNITION COILS???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Nov 2010, 05:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Default IGNITION COILS???

hey everyone been notic ing cold start problems with my PT it will start but you can tell it doesnt want to. I just had the camshaft sensor replaced about a week ago. The weather has gotten colder and I did not drive the car for 3 days just not I went out to move it and while trying to start it, it made the classic machine gun noise battery problem . I just had a brand new battery put in about 6 months ago. It took 3 tries and it finally started, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions. Is it possible ignition coils, because when cam shaft sensor code came up ignition coils code did as well but the mechanic narrowed it down to just the camshaft sensor.
Thanks
Pioneer TS-A1673R 6.5in Door
Pioneer TS-A6963R 6x9 Rears
Infinity Kappa 12in Sub
Infinity REF5350A 5 Channel Amp
Old 03 Nov 2010, 05:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: IGNITION COILS???

We see almost no problems with the coil pack that the Cruiser has. If you have an auto parts place like Pep Boys or Auto Zone near by, they will do a complete charging system analysis for free to try and pinpoint your problem. Meanwhile check your cables and make sure there's no corrosion built up on the cable ends.
Old 03 Nov 2010, 05:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks I will take it there tomorrow. Also I have a car audio system hooked up is it possible that the amplifier that is hooked up to the battery is causing this?? I asked the amp installation place and they said no that is a non factor.
Infinity Kappa 12in Sub
Old 03 Nov 2010, 07:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Either take their word for it or find out where they are taking the main power from yourself. If it's from an "always hot" point, it could be drawing enough current to draw down the battery to where you having trouble starting.
Old 03 Nov 2010, 07:20 pm
Young Cruiser

I know that the amp is connected directly to the battery terminal all the way back to the trunk where the amp is stored. I am not sure what a "hot Point' is.
Infinity Kappa 12in Sub
Old 03 Nov 2010, 07:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If it's directly to the battery, the amp could be drawing enough current in it's standby mode to draw down the battery making it harder to start the car. Try and find someway to test the amp to see if it's drawing anything when the stereo isn't on.
Old 03 Nov 2010, 08:09 pm
Banned

Imho Crewzin is right on every count, as always. Part of the process that they will go through to test your starting system is to check the "Ignition Off Draw" status. Please mention to them that it takes at least 10 minutes for our PTs systems to do their after shut-off shut-downs. Ask them to wait that long before doing the IOD status check. That will instantly tell you if the amp is your problem. I would guess YES.

Jerry
Old 03 Nov 2010, 09:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

I've got two radio's in my Cruiser. One is a mobile repeater (two radio's to receive and transmit at the same time). If I forget and leave this on, it will drain my battery (brand new late summer) to where I have to jump start it.

If your amp is the problem, you can try two things. One would be to put a on/off switch in line so that you can disconnect the amp. The other would to put a second battery in just to power the amp. This would leave the main battery to start and run the rest of the accessories. With this option, you also would be a battery isolator.

I want to go the second battery and isolater for my radio's and lights but right now don't have the spare cash (looking at least at $250).
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 04 Nov 2010, 03:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Ok update today i turned the key in the on position and everything worked headlights radio windows everything but when I tried to start the car it would not turn over and start. Help!!
Infinity Kappa 12in Sub
Old 04 Nov 2010, 03:18 pm
Young Cruiser

Alo called company that did amp install and i was told when the car is shut off the amp is also turned off there is not standby mode. So if the car isnt running or in the key on position no power is going to the amp.
Infinity Kappa 12in Sub