PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing belt swap complete, 01 will not start.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Nov 2010, 07:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing belt swap complete, 01 will not start.

Timing belt on my 2.4 liter snapped while driving down the road, got the new belt in place with new tensioner, idler, and water pump, Timing marks were a bugger but we got it on with both cam marks perfectly aligned and the block timing mark pointing to the tooth edge by the crank mark.

Car will not start at all and is throwing no codes whatsoever. Spark is present as verified by pulling plug cover and cranking the motor over and getting a spark. Turns over fine, just no start. I can hear fuel pump run normally with key turn on and shuts off after pressurizing the system.

Questions:
1. When I aligned the crank timing mark, due to the missing belt I do not know if that TDC was the compression or the exhaust stroke, does this matter or would it not be an issue due to the fact the top end and valves were not moving with them, TDC should be TDC, in this case, correct?

2. Aligning the top cam marks would be the clarifying determiner of which TDC is the ignition, (Compression) stroke, correct?

3. If a sensor, cam, crank, etc. had bad wiring conductivity on its connecting plug would it not show as a code when turning engine over while attempting start?

Old 03 Nov 2010, 07:57 pm
Banned

Default Re: Timing belt swap complete, 01 will not start.

You are correct about the cams determining which is the compression stroke. The thing that I notice that you could be wrong on is the position of the cam timing marks after you have reinstalled the timing belt. Did you turn the crank twice (720 degrees) and then check your marks? The crank should be as you described but the exhaust cam mark should be 1/2 tooth lower than the intake mark. The teeth on the two cam gears should look as though you were enterlacing the fingers on your hands. If the marks are perfectly straight across from each other, take belt back off and do it again until after turning 720 degrees you end up with cam marks with the exhaust 1/2 tooth lower than the intake. Don't feel bad about not getting it right the first time. It's happened to everybody.

Jerry
Old 04 Nov 2010, 10:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exhaust was lined one half tooth below the intake when belt was installed, as per my Chrysler TSM cranking the belt brought up the slack between the can gears by aligning the 2 valves perfectly flush flat across, this is how my Chrysler TSM states it should be at that point. After rotating crankshaft 2 complete revolutions clockwise the cam marks as as pictured in the TSM, flat across, the block mark aligned on ridge of tooth by crank mark, exactly as pictured in the TSM.
Old 05 Nov 2010, 02:19 am
Senior Cruiser

I've heard too many stories like this one, concerning the changing of timing belts on the PT--by owners.

When it's time for mine, I'm just going to bite the bullet and have the dealer change it.

Tim
Old 05 Nov 2010, 10:18 am
Banned

Funny I've done at last count seven "my way" and they all started right up and are still running last I heard.

The TSM that you used has a section that will tell you what to do if you have a "no start" after doing this repair, sooo.

Jerry
Old 05 Nov 2010, 10:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK then, if "your" method is the only correct way, and the TSM is incorrect, please indulge me the courtesy of expanding the details on the steps you took to align this belt to your proprietary measurements, for the uneducated like myself must be taught by a master such as you.
Old 08 Nov 2010, 01:04 am
Regular Cruiser

Assuming you have the timing belt installed correctly.

Test compression #
Old 08 Nov 2010, 10:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Assuming one needs help here from time to time; and trying something by the book hasn't worked, it might seem advantageous to take the advice that is offered (or at least consider it)--without attempting to pee further than the next guy ....

Tim
Old 09 Nov 2010, 06:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

It sounds like you stilled the belt correctly. Once you crank it 2x and the cams line up correctly, that job is done.

You might have a sensor that is broken or not all the way connected.

All the intake sensors are back on? How about your cam sensor...you didnt remove that one right?

2005 Touring Black - Automagic....California Smog Legal

H&R Cup Kit | TSW Sakata 18x8 35ET | Nankang NS-II 235/40/18 | SPC front alignment cam - rear shim | Master Pro Rotors | Master Pro Ceramic F/R pads | Rebuilt Cylinder Head - Safety Valves and Guides | Felpro Head Gasket and upper rebuild kit | Fail-safe 195 degree thermostat | Mopar Waterpump...lol | 3rd radiator fan motor | Gates timing belt kit | WIX filters (oil, transmission) | Mobile 1 5w30 | Mopar ATF4 | Redline Water Wetter | K&N Drop-In | 4th Drive side Axle | Energy Suspension Torque Mounts | 3rd set of Torque Mounts...
Old 10 Nov 2010, 08:15 am
Regular Cruiser

The intake valves could have came in contact with the exhaust valve when the timing belt broke.

Do a compression test.

Tags
timing belt