Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Replacing the coolant temp sensor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Nov 2010, 07:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Replacing the coolant temp sensor

Hi,

I too have the overheating problem with my 05 cruiser, fan never ran. I've replaced the radiator fan...picked up a new one up on ebay for about $60, but the fan now runs when it wants to so it now overheats when I am idling and fan not running. So I figure it may be the coolant sensor so I picked one up at Pep Boys for about $14 but its almost impossable to access so my question is what do I need to remove in order to gain access and replace it?

This forum has helped me in showing how to replace the radiator fan and am greatful for the info.

Last edited by 05fixerupper; 03 Nov 2010 at 07:52 pm.
Old 04 Nov 2010, 07:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing the coolant temp sensor

Maybe this will help:

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 04 Nov 2010, 10:35 am
Dedicated Cruiser

The first thing to remove when replacing the sensor is the antifreeze from the radiator. Any coolant splashing onto the p/s, a/c belt and you will end up with a really annoying squeel that you cannot stop until you replace the belt. That's just another job you don't need right now. You don't need to remove anything else. It's a tight squeeze, but you can do it. If it were mine I would replace the high and low speed relays in the PDC before I start everything back up. Get the relays from a Chrysler dealer, not aftermarket. By the way, that $60.00 fan you just bought is just that, a $60.00 fan. Also the N/A fans run as two speed units. The turbos are constantly variable.

Jerry
Old 19 Sep 2011, 10:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
The first thing to remove when replacing the sensor is the antifreeze from the radiator.

If it were mine I would replace the high and low speed relays in the PDC before I start everything back up.
Jerry
Hello, hope it's ok I post on this thread as I am going to be embarking on replacing my ECT sensor as well and really appreciate the picture post!

Questions about the above quoted text:

Remove the antifreeze from the radiator - is this draining the fluid as shown here: How to Drain Radiator Coolant | eHow.com

What is the PDC? (Googling didn't help me) Are relays like fuses?

I've been trying to find an ECT for my 2003 PT Cruiser (Limited Edition, Automatic) and talk about confusing...

For example on here:
03 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Standard Ignition Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor - Coolant Temperature Sensor - GT, Touring - Auto Parts Network

It asks for a submodel between Touring or GT - mine is neither - the Fuel Type Cylinder Head Type Block Engine CID CC are the same for both, the only difference I can see is the Aspiration - would this part work for my PT (2003 Limited Edition) or would I have to know the Aspiration or it doesn't matter since it fits both types of Aspiration? (It's late and I'm quite tired!)

Thanks in advance!
Old 20 Sep 2011, 06:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hi.

1. Yes, drain the radiator through the Pet-cock at the bottom until enough fluid is out that the level would be below the part that your working on. Catch the fluid and re-use it.

2. The PDC is the Power Distribution Center. That's the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment. It has the high and low speed fan relays. The fuses and relays are pictured and numbered in your owners manual.

3. The ECT is pictured as in my above pictures BUT in later models, as we found out from several owners, it's facing towards the engine and not the radiator which makes it harder to work on and replace.

4. Not sure about your last querry. The non-turbo models are also called Non-Aspirated. I don't think the ECT would make a different on which one you have but if it does, pick the non-turbo, touring model and not the GT.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 12:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the reply CREWZIN.

Ok, I'm looking at the manual now, and it shows a diagram there is a box labeled: Radiator Fan Relay Low Speed (not numbered or lettered) then I see another box labeled "F" that says: Radiator Fan Relay High Speed.

Then on the other page is has a table showing the numbered fuses. 1-22

#5 shows 40 Amp/Green under Items Fused column it says Radiator Fan.

Alright, just came in from popping the hood and seeing if I could find the PDC - wow - learned something new! (I also noticed that I didn't properly hook the air filter cover on the back "hooks" but it took me pliers to get the clips back on so won't mess with that till I get home!)

So the two boxes on the diagram Radiator Fan Relay High and Low Speed - in the PDC are two "blocks" am I replacing those blocks or those don't get touched at all and I'm just replacing Fuse #5 the 40 Amp / Green thing that looks the other fuses for Heated seats, Horn, etc...?

Again, thank you for your patience and all your help!
Old 22 Sep 2011, 12:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrSea View Post

So the two boxes on the diagram Radiator Fan Relay High and Low Speed - in the PDC are two "blocks" am I replacing those blocks or those don't get touched at all and I'm just replacing Fuse #5 the 40 Amp / Green thing that looks the other fuses for Heated seats, Horn, etc...?

Again, thank you for your patience and all your help!
You didn't say anything about replacing the relays (blocks) but you can, won't do any harm. You were only looking to replace the ECT. As I said, the blocks are "relays" one high, one low. They are pretty cheap and easily replaced. The #5 fuse (as you found out) is the main fuse for the fan. Again, cheap and easily replaced.

Not saying any of those (relays, fuse and ECT) can't go bad, and they probably do sometimes) but 98% of the overheating problems that we see on this forum are 1) fan motor, 2) blocked/leaking radiator, 3) trapped air, 4)bad radiator cap, 5) bad thermostat.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 04:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: Replacing the coolant temp sensor

Thanks for the info in this thread, . . . just changed my ECT Sensor, (because my temp gauge was dancing up and down) everything is working fine, . . . this site has saved the day for me again!
Old 14 May 2012, 05:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Replacing the coolant temp sensor

Sorry to elongate the post but I been having several problems with my 2001 pt cruiser and now it us throwing the ect sensor code which I guess is why it's telling me the car is overheating when it isn't... My fan still runs so I bought the part but I've no clue how to actually put it in... Draining the coolant is easy but I could use a detailed direction if anyone could possibly help...
Old 14 May 2012, 05:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't the posts above give you enough information on how to change the ECT sensor? You have pictures and instructions from more than one person.