Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Another Timing Belt Question...(sorry!)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Nov 2010, 01:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Another Timing Belt Question...(sorry!)

Can anyone tell me if there are any real disadvantages to sticking with the 1st design timing belt tensioner when doing the timing belt/water pump replacement procedure?

The reason I ask is that with my student I.D., I can get a Gates #TCKWP265B timing belt replacement "kit" which includes the belt, 1st design tensioner, pulleys and new water pump for $165.98 from a chain here in Iowa called O'Reilly's. I believe the regular list price of this kit is $250.99.

The description of this "kit" states that it comes with the 1st design tensioner. I know from reading other posts here that some timing cover modifications are necessary for the 2nd design(new and improved?) tensioner to be used. I figured that if the 1st design tensioner has lasted for over 100,000 miles (I'm currently at 100,750 miles), replacing it with one of the same design should theoretically last me an additional 100,000 miles. I'd be curious to hear anyone's input on this issue.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04 Nov 2010, 03:12 pm
Banned

Default Re: Another Timing Belt Question...(sorry!)

The reason they changed designs is because the first design didn't hold tension "long-term" as well as the new design when your driving style is "brisker" than just the everyday driver. It was also needed for the the added torque of the turbo's. If you are truly using the PT just as everyday transportation, then yes the origional style will work fine. This is witnessed by your high mileage with no failure.

Jerry
Old 04 Nov 2010, 04:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the input Jerry.
I am onlly using it to get back and forth to school and to work, and realize that it's not a "hot rod". I'm probably averaging around 70-75 miles per day, nearly all of it open highway driving at a steady 60-65mph.

It had been pretty much babied since new. My mother in law bought it new in 2002, and had only put 59,000 miles on it by the time she gave it to us 2 yrs ago at Christmas time. Hell, I just replaced the original Daimler Chrysler battery this past winter when the -40 wind chill in Iowa for days on end did it in.

I got a local mechanic here who I trust implicitly to give me a ballpark price on labor for the whole job, and he said somewhere between $350 - $400, and will allow me to supply the parts, since I'm getting such a good discount. I ordered the kit today, and with tax and shipping (it is a special order) it came to $189.49, so I guess it helps to be a student...lol.

Steve
Old 05 Nov 2010, 02:15 am
Senior Cruiser

O'Reilly's bought Kragen Auto Parts a few years back, and they are just now getting around to changing their signs at their outlets.

I once bought a spark plug/cable wire set and a distributor rotor from Kragen. It was for my daughter's Honda Accord. The rotor would not fit on the distributor shaft, and the coil wire was a good three feet long. When I returned these items, the clerk told me that I could simply have routed the coil wire differently to take up the slack. I told him I was going to the dealer to get wires that actually fit the car, and also a rotor that didn't require a hammer to install it.

So after that, I decided to only buy Castrol, car wash, mitts, grease, etc. from them--but certainly nothing that required OEM specifications.

tim
Old 08 Nov 2010, 12:26 am
Regular Cruiser

Next time, try Rockauto
Old 09 Nov 2010, 06:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

i believe Rock sells a new modified cover for the revised tensioner....good upgrade, for piece of mind.

2005 Touring Black - Automagic....California Smog Legal

H&R Cup Kit | TSW Sakata 18x8 35ET | Nankang NS-II 235/40/18 | SPC front alignment cam - rear shim | Master Pro Rotors | Master Pro Ceramic F/R pads | Rebuilt Cylinder Head - Safety Valves and Guides | Felpro Head Gasket and upper rebuild kit | Fail-safe 195 degree thermostat | Mopar Waterpump...lol | 3rd radiator fan motor | Gates timing belt kit | WIX filters (oil, transmission) | Mobile 1 5w30 | Mopar ATF4 | Redline Water Wetter | K&N Drop-In | 4th Drive side Axle | Energy Suspension Torque Mounts | 3rd set of Torque Mounts...
Old 17 Nov 2010, 07:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

I got my PT back from the shop today after getting the timing belt, tensioner and water pump replaced. I paid for the labor in cash, and didn't get stuck with state sales tax. They charged me a flat $350 for the job.

I had a look at the old parts. The belt didn't seem to have much wear at all, and still had all of the original markings on it. The tensioner did seem to have a bit of play in it. All in all, I'm happy with the way it turned out, and now I don't have to worry about getting stuck by the side of the road this winter and freezing my ass off, or worse.
Old 17 Nov 2010, 08:30 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscanlan View Post
I got my PT back from the shop today after getting the timing belt, tensioner and water pump replaced. I paid for the labor in cash, and didn't get stuck with state sales tax. They charged me a flat $350 for the job....
That sounds like a sweet deal, mind my asking what you paid for the parts? Just wondering what you paid for the job combining labor and parts.
Old 17 Nov 2010, 09:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscanlan View Post
and with tax and shipping (it is a special order) it came to $189.49, so I guess it helps to be a student...lol.

Steve
That and $350 labor..... Damn good deal. Hope I can find a deal like that in 43k miles. Lol.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 17 Nov 2010, 09:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

I got the Gates #TCKWP265B timing belt replacement "kit" which includes the belt, 1st design tensioner, and new water pump with gasket for $165.98 + tax and $8.95 shipping from a chain here in Iowa called O'Reilly's, using my college student ID card. I believe the regular list price of this kit is $250.99.