PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 Radiator replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2010, 09:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question 2006 Radiator replacement

2006 non-turbo.
I got in a little fender bender today, bumping someone with my front end. Not much damage to the front end, just dented the fender just inside of the passenger side headlight, where it attaches to the grill/radiator. But I did find out that PT's have a plastic top radiator, as it cracked the radiator top.
So, is replacing the radiator on a PT too hard? It looks fairly easy (compared to pulling one on my old mustang). Can anyone recommend where to buy a new radiator? Any help in where to buy a radiator and any tips on how to replace the radiator would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you
Old 05 Nov 2010, 11:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Radiator replacement

I know this sounds silly, but since I have seen a few radiators advertised as a fan/radiator assembly, are they separate units?

Thank you
Old 06 Nov 2010, 06:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Are you sure about the radiator being plastic? You might be looking at the fan and shroud which is plastic and a separate unit altogether or the plastic/fiberglass part of the front end which covers the radiator. Never heard of a plastic radiator unless it was in a concept car costing hundreds of thousands of dollars where they use all high tech and futuristic pieces.

Anyway, I did a write-up on how to change out the fan and shroud in the 01-05 cruisers. There's not too much different unless you have the turbo so take a look at this and it will give you an idea of how to do it.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT
Old 06 Nov 2010, 07:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you filled in your profile so we know where you are located it may pinpoint a place to get a radiator. If you lived in New York it wouldn't make much sense to give you a California location.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 06 Nov 2010, 01:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hi, sorry about that lol I am in Southern California, Temecula/Murrieta area.
I am 100% positive about the plastic radiator, to be more specific the top reservoir part where it attaches to the support cross member.

Old 06 Nov 2010, 01:28 pm
Banned

I see in your pic that you weren't kidding about the top of the handle breaking off. It looks to be a clean break so you may not be able to grab it with needle nose or any other "grasping" tool, but try that first since it would be the easiest way to go. Next it's a toss up between the gel type super glue I mentioned or trying to carefully remove the oil dipstick tube. If you can get it out then it would be a simple matter to push the stick up from the bottom of the tube.

Jerry
Old 06 Nov 2010, 01:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

haha Jerry yea I just happened to get that in the picture too!
Hmm great minds think alike, because the first thing I did after the dipstick broke was to go buy some super glue with the thought of pulling it out that way! Unfortunately, the broken handle part doesnt reach down far enough to the dipstick to attach it with super glue.
Old 06 Nov 2010, 01:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
If you filled in your profile so we know where you are located it may pinpoint a place to get a radiator. If you lived in New York it wouldn't make much sense to give you a California location.
Ok give me the California location
Old 06 Nov 2010, 02:00 pm
Banned

I'll be back in about an hour, after Zenyatta wins the Breeders Cup.

Jerry
Old 06 Nov 2010, 07:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sam, just Super Glue (after cleaning the top of the broken dipstick real good) something that has a longer reach. And don't go heavy with the glue--you'll glue the broken handle piece to the tube. Either way, it looks like the whole tube can be detached by unscrewing the flange (upper part of tube) from the mainfold area. Then it looks as if you can pull the whole tube out the whole ....

Many radiators today have a plastic bottom and top, with metal between the top and bottom. Apparently it works.

As far as the radiator goes, just look up "Radiators" in the Yellow Pages. You should have a radiator shop in your area.

However, I'm wondering if a new radiator is all you need. Did you bend the area on the wrecked side where the radiator flanges are located? If so, you'll have to work on that first, so the new radiator sits like it's supposed to.

By the way, I looked at my radiator and noticed the top two fan assembly to radiator bolts had never been tightened by the dealer who replaced my fan assembly 6 months ago. I wrenched 'em down (using baby torque) ....

And yes, the fan assembly is separate from the radiator. If your car has over 60,000 miles on it, the fan is just a ticking time bomb, anyway. I'd replace it while doing the radiator.

Tim