PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

2007 PT Cruiser Check engine light and transmission problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2010, 04:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2007 PT Cruiser Check engine light and transmission problems.

Hello i am new the the forums and as well has owning a pt cruiser mine has over 50000 miles now and i bought mine back in june and have am having several issues. My main issues consist of my check engine light coming on and off at different times and recently it will come on then my transmission will start acting up when ever i get to about 20mph and 40mph it will start slipping (jerking) im not real familier with cars and i have already took it to a mechanic once and the check engine light was off and when they checked the computer there was no code stored for anytype of transmission problem on top of this my air bag light keeps coming on and off. Before the check engine light issue everytime i would start the car you would hear a something droping near the engine not sure if this is related to anything or what it is. I had the dealership change the battery and am not sure what else to do. I saw that i might need to do a turn up and my dad says there might be somethingloose or simply a electrical problem. lookin for some advice before i spend loads of money tryin gto get it fixed. I cant take my car to autozone to get the computer read because they told me they cant do that in the state of California. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by jpierce2087; 06 Nov 2010 at 04:42 pm.
Old 06 Nov 2010, 05:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 PT Cruiser Check engine light and transmission problems.

You can check the codes yourself by following a few simple instructions on this link:

How to retrieve fault codes.

Most likely you might get a code like P0700 which means generally there's a fault that needs attention but it has to be read by a scanner which gets into the computer deeper than pulling the generic codes.

Without some code to go by, it's hard for us to diagnose what your problem might be. Hopefully at some point you've done a flush of the transaxle and refilled it with the proper ATF+4 fluid.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 06 Nov 2010, 08:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Hopefully at some point you've done a flush of the transaxle and refilled it with the proper ATF+4 fluid.
I did the code check and it says P0340 as for the comment above im not sure that that means but it seems like im already making better progess than the mechanic and I havent spent a dime thanks so far.
Old 06 Nov 2010, 08:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The code you found is for the Camshaft Position sensor. Myself and countless others have had problems with that sensor but nobody has reported problems with the tranny at the same time. But it may not be the transmission acting up, but the engine jerking when it looses the signal from that sensor.

It's pretty easy to replace but if you plan on doing it, make sure you buy the new sensor from the Chrysler dealer. The PT doesn't like aftermarket sensors from parts stores.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 06 Nov 2010, 09:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

can i damage my car by driving with this issue cause the Dealership is a good Hour away. Also can you suggest a good how to guide to changing it out? I read that if it is the cam shaft sensor that it wont let it go past 2500 rpms could that be the reason im getting the skipping cause if i let off the gas it will go after that thanks alot for the help.
Old 07 Nov 2010, 05:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's a "how to" on replacing the sensor. It's not hard, you can do it yourself. Sorry can't tell you if it will hurt your engine if you drive it the way it is. I do know that if the sensor goes bad altogether, the engine will stop dead in it's tracks.

Here's the link:

Chrysler PT Cruiser cam sensor replacement: standard and turbo
Old 07 Nov 2010, 09:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your time ill replace the sensor and let you know if that solves my issues.
Old 26 May 2011, 09:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

[QUOTE=CREWZIN;328197]You can check the codes yourself by following a few simple instructions on this link:

This doesn't work on my 2007 Touring Edition. Just an FYI.
Old 26 May 2011, 10:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

[QUOTE=Mongruella;363191]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
You can check the codes yourself by following a few simple instructions on this link:

This doesn't work on my 2007 Touring Edition. Just an FYI.
Are you sure? Everybody else that's tried it and done it right has told us a code or the word "done" when there's no fault code stored. The biggest failure of someone trying to get the code is that they are not turning the key 3 times in 5 seconds.
Old 26 May 2011, 02:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i have an 07 and at first i didnt think i could get the codes either, but you just need to be quick.

Tags
airbag light, check engine light, transmission