Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
would like some advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2010, 07:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default would like some advice

First I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a 24 year old Nissan Titan owner and an avid participator in the Titan forum. So, I am hoping to get some help from some of you. My Mom has a 2000 PT with some electrical problems. Her doors unlock on their own and the other night her alarm went off for about 5 minutes then reset it off on its own. The only work other than scheduled maintenance she has done is her fog lights. Something kept tripping and they would turn on and off. The dealer said they removed "something" so they wouldnt turn on anymore. I was gone in the military for most of this so now that I am home I'm trying to get this fixed. I tried searching the threads for something related to this but was unsuccessful. Instead of paying the dealer to run diagnostics I wanted to ask for help on here. Thank you in advance!
Old 06 Nov 2010, 07:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: would like some advice

Looking, I have no experience with your door-lock problem; although the same issue happened with my wife's PT a few years back during very rainy weather. When the rain stopped, a few days later (and we had a few dry days), the problem stopped--and never came back. But since no one has replied to your issues so far, I will at least guide you to a place that I have used twice--and both times they were spot on.

On the first page of this forum, there are several links. Click the one that says "PT Cruiser Mechanic" (well it's something like that). These guys charge you 13 bucks or 23 bucks to answer your questions. If the PT Cruiser Mechanic on line is not an expert on your issue--he refers you to the right guy. Anyway, they have never steered me wrong (so apparently they are who they say they are); and you don't have to pay them if you don't like the answer. They even give you a few days to work on the problem, then they email you back to see if all is well. I've been so happy with them that I even tipped them (and I don't tip unless I get very good results).

So if no one here can help you, click on one of these guys. 23 bucks max is really not a lot to pay for expert advice.

By the way, they don't compensate me for plugging them--although they probably should give me a freebie next time I need them ....

Good luck,

Tim
Old 06 Nov 2010, 07:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Looking, I blew it. They changed their logo. It's a big box that says Ask a Chrysler Mechanic (it's a part of Just Answer) ...

Tim
Old 06 Nov 2010, 07:43 pm
Banned

All of these problems (at least the fog lights for sure) can be fixed by replacing the Multi-function-switch. I know it has caused the fog light function problems and for those of you that at least have the Haynes manual, if you check in the electrical circut diagrams in the back of the manual, you'll find that the mfs is inline with practically everything that is "dash" related. That includes your other two problems. One other thing to check just for giggles is the state of your battery. A battery on its way out will sometimes produce instrument/dash related oddities.

So mfs and probably battery.

Jerry
Old 06 Nov 2010, 07:45 pm
Banned

I forgot--It couldn't hurt to also do the "key dance".

Jerry
Old 07 Nov 2010, 11:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Wow. Thanks guys. I did find the multifunction switch thread and plan on trying that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
I forgot--It couldn't hurt to also do the "key dance".

Jerry
I just did a thread search on "key dance" and couldnt find anything. Would you be able to elaborate anymore on that? And mdfrodolives thanks for sending me that info. If these two things dont work that will definitely be my next step.
Old 07 Nov 2010, 11:50 am
Banned

Go to the 7th "sticky" post above this post. Its' 'how to retreive fault codes".

Jerry
Old 07 Nov 2010, 12:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
Go to the 7th "sticky" post above this post. Its' 'how to retreive fault codes".

Jerry
Oh ok. Yeah, just did that. No codes came up. Which I guess is a good thing. I kinda wish something simple and easy came up though. But it usually doesnt work that way. haha. I am now looking into doing the multi-function switch repair

How to Repair the Multifunction Switch w/ Pictures (Fog Lights)

After I take it out I was going to see if Chrysler sells just a new switch and how much it costs? Does anybody know if they do or not. I found another thread on how to repair it...

MF switched repair

but from the description this looks like it might be above my skill level.
Old 07 Nov 2010, 01:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Someone else just reported picking up a MFS for about $45 at one of the auto stores. Don't know if it was with or without the fog lights. He said it was so cheap he didn't bother taking the old one apart and trying to fix it.
Old 07 Nov 2010, 05:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Someone else just reported picking up a MFS for about $45 at one of the auto stores. Don't know if it was with or without the fog lights. He said it was so cheap he didn't bother taking the old one apart and trying to fix it.
Yeah that would be ideal. I went to autozone and they couldn't even find the part number. I'll have to check kragen and Napa next

Tags
electrical problems, fog lights