Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01 trying to interchange 04 engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Nov 2010, 04:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 01 trying to interchange 04 engine

I purchased an 01 cruiser touring edition with 70k on it with a blown engine for $1300. I was told I could use up to an 04 engine with only minor changes, I have installed a low milage 04 engine to find that I have a different crank sensor type as well as location and a different coil, does anyone know of a fix to make my 04 engine work? Will an ECU/ECM from an 03/04 car work? Can I have my ECU reflashed to work? Is there an inline fix to make the 04 crank signal work with my 01 ECU/ECM? Please if anyone has the facts let me know.

I am looking at buying another engine and starting over and its not an easy task to change out these engines.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 12:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 01 trying to interchange 04 engine

I am working on a project very similar. I have a 2005 with a blown engine and I am swapping in a 2001 engine. Some of the major differences that I found are:

1. 2001 had EGR Valve and 2005 did not. To work around this I had to swap the head. I think you can also buy a kit to delete this.

2. The knock sensor is not the same. To get around this I just made an adapter plate and used the 2005 sensor.

3. Several of the accessory brackets are different. I use the brackets off of the 2005 engine and everything seemed to work fine.

4. The crankshaft sensor is in different locations on these 2 years. I modified the wiring harness to accomodate this but still have not fully solved.

I now have the engine swapped and it starts and runs, but it is giving me a code of P0335 which is the crankshaft sensor. I have already tested the wiring and everything checks out so I am not sure why I am getting the code. I even swapped the sensor but the code still persists.

With the amount of work that it took to do the swap I would not recommend it. Hind sight is always 20/20 and since there are so many differences in the engines, I would recommend starting with the correct year.

If anyone has ideas about correcting my crankshaft problem I am all ears. I am at the end of my list of things to check.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 03:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

I too have already done the swap, put in the 04 engine. Everything is the same brackets and so on the only differences I have found from 01 to 04 was.

1. crankshaft sensor is a different type and different location.

2. 04 is non egr just drilled correct hole and I am good there.

3. The coil is a different part number as well swapped out my old one.

4. I modified the wiring to the crankshaft sensor to lengthen it to reach, but the resistance in the sensors is different and it throws my ecm into a fit. I have no spark caused by the crankshaft sensor. Will my ecm accept the signal from the new crankshaft sensor or not? It sounds like yours accepted the older one and runs but with codes.

5. The knock sensor was different and in a different location, I drilled out the boss that matched the 01 location and tapped it to the correct thread and mounted the old one

I am not in deep in the wallet yet, but heavy in the labor as the swap is very time consuming and difficult.

Last edited by thumpershe; 11 Nov 2010 at 03:21 am.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 01:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

I started and let me engine run for sometime this evening. The only code that I have is the P0335. The engine sounded great once it started. It seems like the engine has to crank for around 30 seconds to start. Then it runs very smooth. If anyone has an idea of how to solve the crankshaft sensor problem I would love some input. It will most likely solve my hard starting problem. I checked the wiring again tonight and I have the 5 volts at the correct pins for the crankshaft sensor. Could not test the output from the sensor so I have no idea what is happening there. I am using a 2001 crankshaft sensor with a 2005 ECM. Do you think it would help to try a 2005 sensor. I need 10 minutes time with the crankshaft sensor guru.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 05:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I can tell you the 05 sensor is physically shorter and will probably not get signal in the 01 engine.

I have found by testing both sensors that the 05 has roughly 2x's the resistance.

We need to trade engines, this would prboably solve both of our problems.
Old 13 Nov 2010, 10:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the infrormation on the sensor. Do you think I could add a resistor to the sensor so it matches what the 05 should be. I hear you on the engine exchange. I am sure you have as much time in yours as I do. So at this point my choice would be to not remove the engine again.

For you can you use the longer sensor and add shims to the back side? The 05 sensor is shorter and I tried it. It did not pick up on my engine. I assume it is to far from the crankshaft.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 11:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

most likely the problem is the signal itself. the tone wheel on the crank has a different signal in a certain position.

this tells the PCM that the crankshaft is here (usually TDC #1 & #4)

the camshaft also has a signal. this signal tells the PCM which cylinder is where (TDC, overlap, BDC)

the PCM is looking for a Sync signal. if the 04 has the sensor at a different place, i bet the sync signal (sync state) is off.

at work we had and early WJ 4.7l that we swapped an engine on. refused to start. after a few hours of diagnosis, we discovered that the factory changed the number and pattern of the crank tone wheel midyear. parts only listed the one engine back then, all the same.

we tracked down the right engine and it worked fine.

ETA

just looked up the parts. you are pooched i think. the early engine uses a removable tone wheel at the end of the crankshaft. lots of teeth. the newer stlye crankshaft has the tone wheels machined into the crank between #1 and #2. doesn't look like is would/should work.

Last edited by Fuct; 16 Nov 2010 at 12:00 am.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 03:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unfortunately, I think I just joined the club. I bought what was supposed to be a used 01 cruiser engine for my 01. Turns out, its an 03. Thanks, Jason from craigslist........The crank sensor for the 01 is in the front of the engine, and the 03 is under the starter. I also elected to drill the hole for the egr since the engine I was putting in didnt have one. Knock sensor was differant as well, but I just used an unused hole next to the knock sensor for the 01 sensor to fit. The car will not start after the swap. It hits and backfires like its severly out of time, but I know better because I installed a new timing belt before I put the engine in. I know 100% that it is correct, as I have changed many timing belts on these engines. Whats it going to take to get this engine to work in this car without changing the engines out again?
Old 05 Feb 2011, 09:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Best I have come up with is (do over) Though it has been a tough pill to swallow, I am buying an 01' engine with 38k on it for $900 and doing another swap. I will then list my 04' engine for sale as it only have 45k on it. It really sux having to eat the labor twice but since I got the car with only 71k on it and it has an aftermarket turbo for $1300 I haven't lost any money. Total out of pocket cash will be around $2900 when finished. The loss of skin blood and time bites though.
Old 05 Feb 2011, 11:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The 2.4 was the same for years before the 'NGC" change.
Get a block from a 'cloud' car and install.

Last edited by UptownSport; 27 Feb 2011 at 11:39 am.