Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Signal Flasher Location

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2010, 05:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Signal Flasher Location

I have installed LED turn signal lamps in my 09 PT. Now I have the "Hyper" flash thing happening. Where the heck is the Flasher unit located. I have removed part of the panel on top of steering column held on by 3 screws but it does not seem to be there. Any body got the real place it is hidden ? I seem to be finding all kinds of different locations all over the internet. Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 10 Nov 2010, 06:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Signal Flasher Location

What are you going to do with the flasher? It's not the flasher fault that you have the hyper-flash. The LED's aren't drawing enough voltage and the unit thinks one or more of the bulbs are out. You need to put an in-line resister to bump up the needed voltage so the flasher thinks the bulbs are OK.

Look that up on the Internet.It will tell you what kind of resister to use.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Nov 2010, 10:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am changing the flasher to one that can handle the LED lights. (Tridon EL12)
Old 11 Nov 2010, 07:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hope that works out for you. That's not what the flasher looks like on a pt cruiser. It's square and fits onto the multifuction switch in the steering column.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 11:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, I will pull the top off of column again and give it a shot. Great help. What publication is the picture from ?
Old 12 Nov 2010, 05:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It's the Haynes Repair Manual. Only covers the 2001-03 cruisers but there's a heck of a lot of things that never changed throughout the years.

Old 02 Jan 2014, 04:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi People,

I have the same issue with my PT 2007.
Seems the flasher relay location for 2001-2005 is different of the 2006-2010 PTs.
Any clue where is it or how it works?

Best Regards,

Paulo Cesar
Old 02 Jan 2014, 04:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

EVERYTHINGS changed in the 2006+ cruisers. The whole electrical system went to something new and it makes it quite hard to add accessories. Not sure where they moved the flasher to.

Old 02 Jan 2014, 05:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Buying the right LEDs will ensure that your turn signals function normally. Most LED bulb clusters do not have built-in resistance and therefore have a low current draw which raises the current in the circuit. This makes your car think that that there is a short in the circuit. Go to LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS to find bulbs that have the right resistance built in as well as two circuits (one for driving lights and one for turn signals).

OR measure the resistance of your stock incandescent bulb (while ON) and add the necessary resistor to compensate.
Old 02 Jan 2014, 05:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Many thanks for the info Crewzin and InfernoGT.

Wondering about how the LED with built in resistor can manage the power dissipation since the total power would be around 27W. If we exclude the led power, lets say 5~7W we still have ~20W to be dissipated in the built in Led lamp model. Size of it is also not so small, I think.

Rgds

Paulo Cesar