Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How about that Gasket?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2010, 07:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default How about that Gasket?

Hello, everyone. I have a question to those who have removed their upper manifolds--while replacing plugs, thermostats, etc.

I've read the "Sticky" on pulling the upper manifold, but I'm wondering how well those old upper manifold gaskets hold up? Has anyone had problems with the old ones leaking after you re-used them? Should I get new ones? Or have most of you guys simply re-used the old ones--and had no trouble after putting the upper manifold back on?

Ordinarily, I replace gaskets whenever I play with engine parts; but the "Sticky", and my Hayne's Manual do not necessarily recommend replacing the upper manifold gaskets unless they seem "hard".

So, for those who have cracked open their upper manifolds, how well did the old gaskets hold up?

Thanks,

Tim
Old 10 Nov 2010, 10:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How about that Gasket?

I've reused mine 3 times without any problem.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 12:07 am
Cool Cruiser

I am on my 2nd go no problem
Old 11 Nov 2010, 12:16 am
Senior Cruiser

Thanks, guys.

I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Tim
Old 12 Nov 2010, 07:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Okay, I got the upper manifold off, sort of (I relied on the Hayne's Manual instructions. I should have simply used the second Spark Plug Removal "Sticky" in this forum, instead. Hayne's makes no mention of removing "both" throttle body to throttle body bracket bolts. They just mention the one 13 mm bolt under the throttle body--at the driver's side. That's not cool. They obviously did not actually do this procedure. There is also another 13mm bolt behind-and-to-the-driver's-side of the throttle body. This bolt is the second one that holds the throttle body to the throttle body bracket. I was unaware of this bolt until later--and so my clearance while lifting up the upper manifold was limited--but adequate. Although, if I had forced the upper manifold up as high as Hayne's said I could, I'd have pulled out the second 13 mm bolt from upper manifold--and cost myself a lot of money for a new upper manifold.)

I reused my old gaskets (upper manifold to lower manifold), and there were no leaks. I changed my thermostat. The old thermostat seal was leaking and you can't just buy a new seal. But after 7 years, $17.00 for a new OEM thermostat isn't too dear. Besides, you have to position the thermostat into the thermostat housing cover first--a particular way. The whole thermostat/gasket assembly has a nub to guide you, and the thermostat stays stuck into the housing as you lower the whole works onto the thermostat housing.

I was going to change out my old coolant, too, but couldn't get the draincock to turn out properly. Being a tight-fisted miser, I did not want to strip out the radiator drain hole, so I just turkey-basted the coolant down to a manageable amount to remove the upper radiator hose and the thermostat housing. It was duct-tape mechanics all the way. But it worked.

Thank God for torque wrenches. 105 inch lbs. for the upper manifold bolts. 110 inch lbs. for the thermostat housing cover bolts. I got a Craftsman Microtork a few years back for Christmas--and it worked like a charm. It really takes the fear out of tightening small bolts ....

Thanks for the tips, guys!

Tim
Old 12 Nov 2010, 07:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good job Tim. It's a good thing you don't have the 01-02 cruiser. There's a EGR tube in back of the manifold that needs to come off and it's a PITA to work on. It has two different size bolts and you almost need to be a contortionist to get to them. The manifold won't lift up without taking the tube off first.

Old 12 Nov 2010, 08:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Crewzin, that EGR fiasco assembly is very close to where the second 13mm bolt I neglected to take off, is located. Still, when I do my plugs and plug wires in about 10,000 miles, now I know there's another bolt to contend with. At least it's only one on the back of the upper manifold-to throttle body--and not two ... and two of different sizes, no less.

The guy who designed that EGR arrangement must have been the guy who designed that silly draincock ....

Tim
Old 15 Nov 2010, 03:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: How about that Gasket?

+1 on reusing the same gaskets, my PT has 205K & I just did my plugs & wires on Saturday. I thought the gaskets might be "flattened" after 10 yrs but they are fine. There are only 3 bolts holding the throttle body to the intake so I took it off & gave it a good clean up...I had sprayed it while on the car earlier & it looked clean,but,I found the "back" side was pretty dirty..so it was worth it to take it off and do a proper job.
I had mentioned in another thread that I had an exhaust odor inside when I had the heat/AC fan running...Well it turned out to be the PVC valve! It was only finger tight...and just at that! There was some oil below and behind the valve along the valve cover,so that made perfect sense why I was getting the odor inside the car. It's all nice & fresh now!