Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 PT CRUISER WON'T START EVEN WHEN JUMPED

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2010, 04:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 04 PT CRUISER WON'T START EVEN WHEN JUMPED

I really hope someone can help me out- with Christmas being a month away and me starting a new job on Monday I cannot afford to take my car to a mechanic.

Prob:
'04 PT Cruiser, appx 131k miles, went to get in the car the other night and it wouldn't start. Have tried jumping (with cables) and it turns over but will not start, yet all lights work. Have tried to get an error code by switching the key but all it says is "d0ne".

Thanks to anyone who can help with some ideas on the problem and costs.
I've had so many problems with this car from the AC not blowing cool (I have to "recharge" a few times in the spring and summer) ever since I got the car in '04 and the latest problem has been quickly overheating. I live in FL and was so happy it was starting to cool off to help with the overheating and AC and now this has happened.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 05:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 04 PT CRUISER WON'T START EVEN WHEN JUMPED

With that kind of mileage, I have to ask, was the timing belt changed at around 100,000 miles. If not, that most likely is your problem. I'll wait to hear back with other things until you let us know about the belt.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 06:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No, I have not replaced the timing belt. My ex-husband and his father have just been looking at it and they said the fuses are all good and they also added some gas just in case the fuel gauge was not correct.

So, the timing belt may be the problem? When this happened, it was the first night we had a cold snap (upper 30s) when I went to crank it and it wouldn't crank. It started fine up until that point. When it's being jumped it sounds like it wants to crank, when it's not being jumped, it just clicks.
Since I am a single mother, I don't want to get a high price part if that isn't the problem- (if a timing belt is expensive, not sure) I would rather start at the lower priced end of the scale first. Do you have any other idea besides the timing belt so I can start price wise at the least expensive and work my way up?

Thanks so much by the way for the quick reply.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 06:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You don't want to throw parts at it without knowing exactly what's wrong. The mileage makes me think that it's the belt.

The timing belt IS expensive (somewhere around $1000 because of the labor involved, not the price of the belt).

To find out for sure, have your Ex or his father take off the Camshaft sensor. It's not that hard. When the sensor is off, you can see the end of one of the overhead camshafts. Turn the key till the engine turns over. If the camshaft doesn't spin, the timing belt has broken.

The Camshaft sensor is on the right side of the engine as you face it from the front of the car. Two bolts and it's off.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 11 Nov 2010 at 06:56 pm.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 10:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Same problem girlfriend... Mine was ran out of gas, sat for a few hours, battery dies now wont start, jumping it makes it try and start sounding like it cant get gas, choking ? sputtering... Almost goes then, bye bye... Im livid... please help me... 04 124k miles,.... Im thinking my timing belt too.... oh joyyyyyyyyyy .ewwwwwwww
Old 11 Nov 2010, 11:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leannaluv View Post
Same problem girlfriend... Mine was ran out of gas, sat for a few hours, battery dies now wont start, jumping it makes it try and start sounding like it cant get gas, choking ? sputtering... Almost goes then, bye bye... Im livid... please help me... 04 124k miles,.... Im thinking my timing belt too.... oh joyyyyyyyyyy .ewwwwwwww
It doesn't sputter or anything if the belt is gone it just turns over fast until the battery dies. Your problem sounds more like a fuel related problem with a dead battery on top.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 11 Nov 2010, 11:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Timing belt is a 90k-100k item, if you don't change it, you can potentially damage your engine when it breaks.

What's more expensive? $800 timing belt or a used engine or a used car?
Old 12 Nov 2010, 07:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

leannalue: Id say your sounds like a fuel pump and it is in the tank and not nearly as high as a timing belt but still several hundred

lakewoodgirl;; im thinking timing belt and it is any place from $1000-$1400 and really if the person has never done it it is best to go to a good mechanic who is knowledgeable
Old 14 Nov 2010, 10:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We have an 01 with the same problem. My wife was driving it and said she heard a faint noise almost like it was the brakes starting to squeal only the brakes are new. A few mins later, the car quit running. She barely got off the road. Lights and bells all work fine so it's not the battery. When you turn the key, it trys to start but it coughs and sputters and won't start. Also, we just replaced the timing belt this summer. General code reader puts out a P0442 which I'm sure has nothing to do with this problem, and P1490. Any ideas?
Old 14 Nov 2010, 11:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

Fuel, spark, compression.

Do some basic testing.