Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cuts out at 2200 RPM's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Nov 2010, 04:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cuts out at 2200 RPM's

I just finished an engine swap on a 2005 non turbo cruiser. The engine runs great until it gets to 2200 RPM's and then the car starts to miss and stumble. Once it is below 2000 it takes off again. I have one code on the dash and that is P0335. I have tried to clear this several times.

The problem with my code is a mismatch of crankshaft sensors. The block that I used for the engine swap was a 2001. I checked all the wiring and everything checks out. I still have the 2005 crankshaft sensor so I tried swapping this in and it did not solve the problem. I looked back at the codes that were present before the engine swap and the P0335 was present before the swap so it is possible that the crankshaft sensor I have is bad.

I have a couple of questions regarding my problems. First if I install a new 2005 sensor will it work in the 2001 block? The depth of the 2001 and 2005 is different as is the resistance. The second question I have is can I override the "limp mode" that I have? Everything seems to be running fine. The only problem that I have noticed is that the engine must crank over for a while before staring (20-30 seconds).

Thanks for the help.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 05:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cuts out at 2200 RPM's

You've swapped engines and now it's in limp mode with a fault code and you have to crank it over up to 30 seconds before it will start. Do yourself a favor a pay someone to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to you get it all straightened out. No, you can't override the limp mode as your computer is seeing something drastically wrong and goes into that mode so you won't hurt the engine. Get it scanned and fixed properly.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 06:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the help. I kind of thought that is what I needed to do. Can someone with a scan tool figure this out or will it need a programming that can only be done at the dealership.

Thanks again.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 06:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Tough question without knowing what the scan tool will find. Might be as simple as a change in sensors or a bad computer.

You said you tried to clear it several times. How. Did you take the battery cable off for about 5 minutes and after putting it back together the code came back?

Re-reading your first post, the first thing I'd try is a new 2001 Crankshaft sensor.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 09:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have tried to reset the computer a couple of ways. I pulled the fuel pump relay and removed the battery cables. Today I removed both the positive and negative cables, then pushed the brake pedal several times, and left the cables off for at least 2 hours. When I put the cables on there was no codes, but after starting the check engine light was back.

I currently have the 2001 crankshaft sensor installed (it is the correct sensor to use for the block and crankshaft). When I test the 2 different sensors the resistance of them is way different. I did try the 2005 crankshaft sensor and when I used it, I could not clear the code. When I went back and looked at my notes, I noticed that the P0335 code was present before I swapped engines. Since the code was there before the swap it is possible that the 2005 sensor is bad. The last thing I plan to try before taking it somewhere else is to swap the crankshaft sensor with a new 2005 sensor. When I compared the 2 sensor the diameter is identical and the length is only different by maybe 0.040". For the cost of a sensor it is at least worth a try. If it does not work, I plan to swallow my pride and take it to someone.

There are a lot of differences in these engines between the years. The only issue that I have not been able to work around is the crankshaft sensor. I will post an update on what the fix is when I find it.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 12:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

just looked up the parts. you are pooched i think. the early engine uses a removable tone wheel at the end of the crankshaft. lots of teeth. the newer stlye crankshaft has the tone wheels machined into the crank between #1 and #2. doesn't look like is would/should work.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 06:16 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I know that problem could be associated with the camshaft sensor if that helps
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.