Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
air horn installation not going good

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2010, 05:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default air horn installation not going good

wife bought a wolo dual airhorn for me. they said it would fit the 06 i have. not. so i go to my mechanic and he swaps me so i can buy a fiamm riviera that is much smaller. installs it and it will not honk when car is running. when horn is pressed while driving it sounds like a car alarm beep...beep...etc. when car is in acc or off horn is fine. stock horn worked fine. went back to him for a fix and no luck. told him to reinstall the factory horn. he then screwed around and now the factory horn barely emits a sound? anyone with an idea?? thanks

Last edited by jacquesfrosty; 19 Nov 2010 at 05:38 pm. Reason: adding more
Old 19 Nov 2010, 05:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: air horn installation not going good

anyone with an idea??

Yea, get rid of your mechanic. Apparently he knows nothing about electrics and wiring. I'm not sure what he did with the wiring but the fiamm riviera takes 15 amps and so does the original horn so there shouldn't have been a problem. Somebody that knows what hes doing has to get in there with a test meter and start from scratch.
Old 19 Nov 2010, 09:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes, i think you're right. unfortunately i took the cheap route here. trusted them. just kind of weird that the original horn doesn't throw much sound now (if any at all). now i worry that they could have screwed other things up. i checked most of my electrical things on the car and they seem fine. just don't know why the horn doesn't work. looks like i'll have to spend some $$$. i took it there because i thought it looked simple enough to do. the mounting part was the issue for me as i'm not too handy at tearing cars apart and putting them back together!! so do you think it's not going to be an issue if i buy another horn (thank God o'reilly auto parts let me return this one) and have someone install it? or could the damage be deeper and much more costly?? thanks---
Old 19 Nov 2010, 09:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

By what you say the horn was doing, it almost sounds ( no pun) like he taped into the turn signal wire..I mean if the horn was beeping like an alarm off and on??? Wierd
Old 19 Nov 2010, 09:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes, very weird. it would blow normally and sound really good until you actually started the car and then it did the short burst thing if i held down the horn pad continually. very short bursts. thoguht it may have had something to do with the stock anti theft system?? basic touring one. and wouldn't you know today i have a car pull out right in front of me-hit the horn and get that little, pathetic "squeek" of an air horn. honest to God. now i'm concerned about my stock horn sounding next to dead. i know it was working right for them because i heard the stock horn during their attempt to fix the air horn. don't know how they screwed it up. wish they would have just stuck the stock horn on and sent me on my way. only took them about three hours to screw it all up. more like knuckle draggers than knuckle busters for sure!!! any ideas, anyone? thanks
Old 03 Apr 2011, 07:56 am
Young Cruiser

when I installed a airhorn in my Fiero sometime back i had to use a 87 Relay. Did the airhorn come with any relays?
RF power mids and highs
Kicker solo-baric L5's x2

Tags
2006, air horn, fiamm, wolo