Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
jet 1 jet 2 chips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Nov 2010, 09:07 am
Cool Cruiser

Default jet 1 jet 2 chips?

ive seen thise chips on alot of PT performance parts sites, what do they do? and whats the difrence? i hurd they increese your HP or your top speed ability making it so your computer dosent cut of your rpms when you get to say 90 miles an hour? can somone explain to me?
Old 20 Nov 2010, 09:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: jet 1 jet 2 chips?

fromm what i have heard they dont work at all
Old 23 Nov 2010, 07:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

realy? i thought they were supose to have the stage 1 or 2 updates, somthing like that.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 08:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here ya go. Be the first to try it and let us know what happens.

Chrysler PT Cruiser Performance Chips - Amazing Chrysler PT Cruiser Chips

Here's a couple comments I copied from PT Cruiser Owners Association: Accessories and Modifications.

I put a jet chip in my Cruiser about a year ago and it has worked fine, though I do not think it really does anything to improve the car's performance or fuel mileage.

I put a Jet module in my 2005 Turbo Convertible at 15,000 miles and with 40,000 miles now I can really see no improvement, if improvement is even possible. The car runs so well anyway that the mod would have to do something significant before it would be noticed, and I have not noticed it.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 23 Nov 2010 at 08:25 pm.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 04:20 am
Cool Cruiser

well that dosent look like a jet chip thats for shure, im used to older engines so can somone fill me in at least on this stage 1, stage 2 stuff?
Old 24 Nov 2010, 01:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by urimashe View Post
well that dosent look like a jet chip thats for shure, im used to older engines so can somone fill me in at least on this stage 1, stage 2 stuff?
Here's all you need to know: They don't work. You'll see lots of them on ebay where owners are trying to recoup their loses.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 03:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Jet Performance chips actually do work, so none of that is true. I bought one years ago for my 97 Ram. I purchased the stage 1 chip. I had already installed a throttle body spacer, cat-back dual exhaust and a K&N air filter set up. The first thing that I noticed was that the Jet chip changed all of the factory shift points. This alone, would have prompted me to buy the chip because my ram's tendency to pop in and out of overdrive (and kickdown to second) while at throttle was, at times, maddening. All of the mods combined contributed to an overall boost of about 30 horsepower. To be fair, the chip itself was probably responsible for about 10 horses. The chip really tied all of the mods together however...waking my truck up and kicking it in the arse. I bought my chip off the bay' and got a pretty good deal on it. I just acquired a 2005 PT cruiser touring 'vertible. It's a non-turbo car and I am just finishing up a top end rebuild (I bought the car cheap knowing it needed the work.) I cannot yet tell you how much of an effect the chip will have on a PT...but i'll let you know when i get one installed.

As for what folks get out of their purchase when it comes to these chips, thats entirely up to buyer. If you install a mod like this, in a bone-stock car and then continue to feed it 87 octane fuel, you will probably not see much of an increase in power. There is no "magic" upgrade. These chips...just like swapping carburetors on street rods back in the day....are designed to work best with other common mods. The chip optimizes fuel curve, timing (and shift points!), so if you don't invest in other upgrades to capitalize those optimizations, you shouldn't expect to magically plug 20 horsepower into your car.

Last edited by Ironhyde; 31 Jul 2013 at 03:31 pm.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 04:28 pm
Banned

Holy thread revival batman
Old 31 Jul 2013, 07:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I do ECU Performance calibration as some of you know and the information posted recently is not very accurate to say the least.

I would HIGHLY recommend that the responder invest in an Ultra Gauge prior a posting about a "chip" installed in a MOPAR locked ECU. That way we can asked before and after simple questions that can be viewed on the UG.

Most "chips" tend to lean the fuel maps which will increase MPG and slight power increase (lean is mean) but not to much beyond that. The II may increase ignition timing keeping the same changed fuel values as 1? Hard to say unless I data logged a full ECU OBDII download of a before and after installation. There is NO optimizing of ECU maps only simple common changes to fit a wide range of models and engine groups as the one I mentioned. That is why they are classified as a plug and play "canned tune". Simplified and $$.

Oh I forgot my manors welcome to the forum, interesting first post and impression!?

Last edited by NitroPT; 31 Jul 2013 at 07:17 pm.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 07:20 pm
Banned

You must be rich, how many manors do you own?

QUOTE=NitroPT;486391]I do ECU Performance calibration as some of you know and the information posted recently is not very accurate to say the least.

I would HIGHLY recommend that the responder invest in an Ultra Gauge prior a posting about a "chip" installed in a MOPAR locked ECU. That way we can asked before and after simple questions that can be viewed on the UG.

Most "chips" tend to lean the fuel maps which will increase MPG and slight power increase (lean is mean) but not to much beyond that. The II may increase ignition timing keeping the same changed fuel values as 1? Hard to say unless I data logged a full ECU OBDII download of a before and after installation. There is NO optimizing of ECU maps only simple common changes to fit a wide range of models and engine groups as the one I mentioned. That is why they are classified as a plug and play "canned tune". Simplified and $$.

Oh I forgot my manors welcome to the forum, interesting first post and impression!?[/QUOTE]