Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Intake question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Nov 2010, 06:46 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Intake question

Will a "cold air intake" from a 2003 turbo PT fit my 2010 NA?
Old 20 Nov 2010, 07:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Intake question

I don't think so. I believe the throttle body on the Turbo is at a different angle than on an N/A PT. The opening of the TB on the N/A PT goes straight out towards the left side of the car whereas the opening on the Turbo angle out towards the left front headlight. You also have some more plumbing in the Turbo cars that might make the intake bend at a different angle than the non-turbo.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 08:54 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Thanks CREWZIN
Old 21 Nov 2010, 02:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Easy one word answer: No. Crewzin, as usual, has it right.

If you're trying to get an increase in power through the intake on an NA, use a throttle body spacer, check all your crank filters if any, and make darned sure your PCV valve is clean. Blowback isn't much of a problem on an NA, but keeping a clear airway into the engine will help you a bit on horsepower, maybe 2 to 3, but mostly you'll get a subtle increase in mileage.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 10:22 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut
If you're trying to get an increase in power through the intake on an NA, use a throttle body spacer
Everything I have read on this forum and elsewhere, other than that from people trying to sell the, say that throttle body spacers don't help any, or don't help enough to notice anything.

I bought a used Airaid cold air intake off a member here a couple years ago. I don't know if it helped increase power. It feels like it did. I sure know its got a great sound, like my '67 Dodge Dart back in the '70's when I pulled off the stock air filter and replaced it with a custom open filter. Some times what we perceive is just a special as what in reality really is the truth.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 21 Nov 2010, 11:56 am
Banned

No, it won't work, mainly because of its length. You could cut and chop and "maybe" get it to work but I doubt if anyone has tried to go that direction with one of these. They would have just bought the model for an N/A to begin with, so you're in unknown territory. The reason its longer is because the unit doesnt attach directly to the throttle body like the N/A does. It goes from the battery area over and down to the turbo itself. The air then moves through the turbo to the IC (intercooler) and then up to the TB (throttle body).

Jerry
Old 28 Nov 2010, 07:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

You might want to think about getting an extension or like a 45 degree angle elbow. that might work, but the earlier models throttle body curves and the later models are straight. i hope this helps, if someone else hasn't already thought of it.
Old 28 Nov 2010, 07:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkid1983 View Post
You might want to think about getting an extension or like a 45 degree angle elbow. that might work, but the earlier models throttle body curves and the later models are straight. i hope this helps, if someone else hasn't already thought of it.
I think I did in my earlier response but it's the N/A models that are straight and the turbo's that are curved.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Nov 2010, 10:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

you know what man, you're right, i'm sorry. The turbo's do curve, and sorry about the elbow thing. i just got lazy and didn't feel like reading. lol