Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2007 p0303 code after changing plugs & wires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Nov 2010, 09:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2007 p0303 code after changing plugs & wires

I have a 2007 base model ptc. I recently had a p0303 code. Found out what it was & saw that the recommendation was to change the plugs & wires. After changing the plugs & wires, i reset the check engine light (removing negative battery cable). Started it up & ran real smooth. Drove it for approx. 15 minutes & while stopped at a stop light, the check engine light starts flashing. I had the ac on at this time. As soon as i start moving, the check engine light quits flashing & disappears. When i stop, i try to pull the code & there is none there. I then leave & the check engine light comes on again & stays lit. When i get to where I'm going, i check the code & it is a p0303 code again. Could it possibly be the coil pack? Don't know much about cars, but have learned alot on this site. Thanks for your help.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 10:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 p0303 code after changing plugs & wires

The coil is divided into two for cylinders 1 & 4, 2 & 3. Your only getting the code for cylinder #3. You changed both the plugs and wires so you have to look for something else. A bad fuel injector, a burnt valve. How did the plugs look when you replaced them. Was cylinder 3 plug clean or burnt and did it have any oil on it?
Old 20 Nov 2010, 10:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

# 3 looked no different than the others. They all looked like they had 70,000+ miles on them. No oil on any of them.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 10:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, back to the injector or valve. You might want to have it checked out by a scanner to try and pinpoint the exact problem.

If the car is running OK, and your just getting the fault light, you might try the battery cable again.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 12:54 pm
Banned

If you had 303 before the plug/wire change and now that same code has came back you "probably" have an injector problem. Try running a can of good cleaner through a full tank or two of gas. I use a bottle of Chevron "techron" every six months "just because". I substituted Chryslers fuel system cleaner (in a bottle just like the "techron") once and it seemed to work just as well. I had to change the plugs out on a customers PT that had used the "lucas" fuel cleaner. By the time he brought it to me he had pretty well used the entire tank of gas and it had started to run rough. I pulled the plugs and they all had a build up on the plugs that wasn't there before. I had just changed them about three months before. I changed the plugs and we put in a bottle of "techron" and "bob's your uncle" everything was fine. I checked the plugs again two tanks later and the plugs were still clean as a whistle. In other words, not all cleaners are the same.

Something may not come to mind as you were reading the above statement is, if it did that to the plugs, then it would be leaveing those same deposits on the 02 sensors and the cat. I changed out the upstream and downstream sensors at the same time that I changed the plugs because they were an easy and inexpensive change. The cat didn't fall into that catagory, so we left it with our fingers crossed. The cat can be damaged by many differant
chemicals, like lead and even the zinc that was such an important part of the oil that we used to use in ALL of our motors in the "good ol days". You can still buy high performance oil that has zinc in it, but it states on the can that it's for racing/off road use only. In other words don't use it on a car with a cat (check my sig).

Like Crewzin said though, If you want to quickly find out exactlly what is causing the code, have it scanned and you'll know for sure.

Jerry
Old 04 Dec 2010, 07:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Have since changed the fuel injector. Still getting the same code. Bout ready to shoot it. Any ideas?
Old 11 Jan 2011, 10:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2006 PT Cruiser, and at 60,000 it started to idle very rough. I had the plug and wires replaced, coil replaced, with no solution to the problem. It turned out to be #3 cylinder had a burnt valve. Is this a common problem?
Old 12 Jan 2011, 05:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentfield1951 View Post
I have a 2006 PT Cruiser, and at 60,000 it started to idle very rough. I had the plug and wires replaced, coil replaced, with no solution to the problem. It turned out to be #3 cylinder had a burnt valve. Is this a common problem?
No, it's not common at all.