Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Clutch problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Nov 2010, 09:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Clutch problem?

Hi all, new here. Just bought a 2002 5-speed pt with 82k. Runs great. Here's my issue: in any gear, around 2-3 rpms, I'm getting a "surging". It's a very quick on and off again feeling, and I immediately figured it was the clutch starting to slip. However, I've put the clutch through all the "normal" slipping tests, and it passes perfectly. No slippage uphill under hard acceleration, feels great when starting off in higher gears, NO rpm movement when I feel this surging taking place--it's almost like s caliper is dragging or something. It's getting annoying, has anyone else experienced? Suggestions? I don't want to replace the clutch until I'm sure it is the culprit!!

Thanks for any insight you all can give me!!!
Old 23 Nov 2010, 09:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Clutch problem?

The clutch on these tends to go all at once with only little notice prior. I've had mine on the race track, quarter mile and road track, plus running the Tail of the Dragon many times, and while I get LOTS of slippage at high-end in second and third now, my clutch, with 47k on it, is still rock solid for normal street driving. No good at the track but that's what happens when you tune in 320 chp and 325 lb ft of torque!

As to the surging, I'd say run a can of seafoam through it, even though you're not seeing your tach surge, it could still be motor related. Does it happen all the time? Just curious. Also, is it throwing any codes??? Do you know about the key-dance to display codes?
Old 23 Nov 2010, 09:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

That a lot of power! How are you producing that?

It does it all the time, again, very faint, my wife doest even notice.......
but I do b/c I've been around cars all my life.

Is the key thing the same as my 04 3500, just turn the accessory on and off 3 times?

THANKS!
Old 23 Nov 2010, 10:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That's on a crank dyno in Florida, after a custom tune, new oil, new plugs, new air filter, then custom Predator tune. That is about 263 wheel horsepower. It was so much that we got a dyno loop because the clutch slipped in third when we hit 263 whp. They believe I could have taken it about 15 to 20 horse more if I'd had a performance clutch installed.

Yes the key dance is still the same. Mine, I have to watch it, sometimes it does it after the second flip. Weird.

As to the surge, are all your plugs gapped the same? And are they at factory specs or have you changed that? I took mine from the factory 0.050 to 0.035 and boy that made a difference in smoother idle.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 10:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'll have to pull them and check. Just bought it a week ago. I did put a rad in it, it was rusted.

It idles fine and I really think the engine is running tip-top, but you never know so I'll look into it. Otherwise, if it doesn't get any worse, I'm not worrying about it until/if it does

Thanks again for your help.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 10:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If that's the case, you might just want to run a half tank of gas with a can of seafoam and get it out on the hiway and blow the p#ss out of it. Might need to get good and hot and run the snot till it cleans up all that crud, then when done run and change the oil right away. Probably big oil curds will drop out...lol...
Old 23 Nov 2010, 10:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

thats my answer to everything...........run the pi$$ out of it!!!

I'll check for codes and see if anything comes up.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 10:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

P1684 is the code thats showing. This is not an error, just informational from what I'm seeing--Should I try master clearing? I'm doubting that will do anything.......
Old 23 Nov 2010, 10:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Actually I do a master clearing almost every time I change my oil.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 12:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I need to change the oil anyway--I'll try a master clear and see what happens. Thanks